Pointer problem.

Reaction score
Hello forum, I noticed recently that when using Safari or Firefox the pointer does not change once you scroll over any links. It stays as an arrow or even sometimes stays as a cursor. I know with Firefox you would see the URLs in the lower left hand corner of the screen change as you scroll over. This does not happen anymore either.

Expose does not work either. I have that set up so that when you go to one of the corners it will show the desktop.

Does anyone have any ideas? Especially for the pointer issue?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (mid 2010) OS 10.13.6
I also am having pointer problems ever since a "Safari Security Update" the late evening of 4/18/11.

While scrolling any page/any program the arrow will bring up dialogue boxes and the only way to get rid of the dialogue box is to move the cursor to a blank area and click the trackpad or the spacebar or escape button. Also the arrow randomly will change into a cursor and begin highlighting; I have to go to a blank area and click to get rid of it.

I have used the search feature here and can find nothing that relates to this problem, also went to Apple support and followed that 'trail' without a resolution to this problem. It appears that I will have to make a repair appointment to get this resolved. :Angry:

Any suggestions I could try at home??? anyone???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All I can suggest is try downloading and installing the Snow Leopard Combo update. You can get it here. Be sure to click on the correct link for your machine. And take note: It's a large download, over 1 GB. As with any other system update, before applying it, make a backup using Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag, Thank You for the suggestion.

I looked at the site you directed me to and then read some more about it at the Apple site. The Combo update was released March,'11, and my problem did not appear until mid April,'11. Not to mention that I have not even attempted to look into Time Machine, so I am really "chicken" to try anything I don't really understand... :\

Judy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.