Using external hard drive for Time Machine

Reaction score
Okay, here's what I'm trying to do:

The hard drive on my MacBook Pro is nearly full and is the cause of a general slow-down of my machine.

I'd like to move my music, video and pics to an external hard drive.

My friend recently gave me a 1TB Lacie external hard drive. I already have a 500GB Time Capsule. I would like to use the Lacie for Time Machine and use my Time Capsule as an external hard drive.

I connected the Lacie to the network by plugging it into the Time Capsule (USB 2.0). I went into Time Machine and appointed the Lacie as the destination disk. I moved my music, video and pics to the Time Capsule.

It appears that the Lacie is not grabbing or backing up the files saved on the Time Capsule. Is there a way to do this? Any tips on setup or another configuration that will make this work?

Thanks for any feedback.

- Brendan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes, look in preferences for Time Machine, by default it ignores connected external drives, so you need to add them. After that all should be well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I back up to an external drive and it is working great. I also use it for my iTunes library (which is going through some repairs after my initial drive went skidding across the kitchen floor in a game of cat-hockey.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.