• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

USB Flash Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20'' 2.0GHz 2gb Ram 400gb HDD
This might sound daft but, which brand of pen drive is most suited to macs?

J

joeytomatoes

I guess any that states:
Support of Mac OS 10.2 and higher without device driver. USB 2.0
Target had some on sale 256MB for $19.95.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Take your pick. Since the Mac is USB 2.0 compatible and reads DOS/Windows- formatted media, you can get any of the flash keys on the markets.

I use either my Shuffle or a cheapie USB key I got for free as a promotional giveaway from a mainframe software manufacturer.

S

sursuciofla

Shadowfax said:
This might sound daft but, which brand of pen drive is most suited to macs?

I have found SanDisk Cruzer mini to be the most compatible brand across the board. No driver needed and works well with any platform. I know there are other good ones too but this is the brand I have seen a lot of success with. My co-workers got me one as a gift a year ago and they all use the same. They have really gotten super cheap recently as well.

Reaction score
I like Lexar Secure drives, their software works well on both platforms. Other flash sticks I have used haven't worked well or at all on OS X. You can get a 1GB Lexar Secure at office depot this weekend for $50 AR. Only problem is they are kind of ugly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can use just about any one you want. I will second the Lexar ones though. I use them, and they are usually the cheapest price. I have never had a problem with Lexar ones at all.

Reaction score
I have never had one that didn't work at all. Its just I like to be able to use the password protect software thats comes with them, which I why I say Lexar Secure is the way to go. If you don't have any intention on using such software, then just get whatever is cheapest.

S

sursuciofla

mynameis said:
I have never had one that didn't work at all. Its just I like to be able to use the password protect software thats comes with them, which I why I say Lexar Secure is the way to go. If you don't have any intention on using such software, then just get whatever is cheapest.

Does the Lexar work on any computer because at my school many people have had problems with those because on the secure network IT has it set up where only they can download new software and drivers to the computers? That's more of a hassle to me than just getting one that you don't have to worry about that with.

Reaction score
The way my Lexar works is that half is secure and half isn't, I can plug it into any comp, even school comps and read the non-secure half. The application to get to the secure part doesn't work on some of the school comps because they are locked down so tight. I would always keep my school stuff on the non-secure part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
The online apple store only sells Crucial and LaCie brands. I am leaning toward the LaCie "itsakey", 8Gb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I've got a 64GB Xporter Magnum, a 32GB PNY Attache' and my oldest thumb drive 32GB Transcend V60 that I use on both my Mac and PC. No problems 'ere... touch wood. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Good lord this is an old thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
LOL no doubt but it gives you the chance to see that in '05 when it was last posted to before today that a 256mb flash drive cost $19.95 ! Last week I bought a 16GIG for that.:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
LOL no doubt but it gives you the chance to see that in '05 when it was last posted to before today that a 256mb flash drive cost $19.95 ! Last week I bought a 16GIG for that.:eek:
Yep and we still moan about how small the disk space is, :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
that my friend will NEVER change !

Clay
Yes, that will never change as long as the file data sizes keep getting larger and larger. I remember those days when software didn't even pass three digits in MB and 300 MB hard drives were considered large! Nowadays people fill up GB hard drives fairly easily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.