No App Store on my iPad!

Reaction score
I have a iPad for work and work gave it to me set up with all the programs that I need for work.
BUT they gave it to me with the App Store removed off it so I cant download ANY apps! So this is no fun and no good at all.
Is there any way I can get the App Store back on it or get Apps onto it with out jail breaking it?
Any thoughts....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
wow... That's a bit extreme!

Can you still sync it to iTunes with no restriction? I would think you should be able to download the apps the rough the iTunes AppStore and sync the iPad to it and bresto!

Give it a shot, and good luck.

OP
H
Reaction score
yeah I tried that and no luck!!!!
I down loaded an app and it wont allow me to drop it into the iPad???
So Im a little unsure where to go from here.....
The App just wont drop into the iPad?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
yeah I tried that and no luck!!!!
I down loaded an app and it wont allow me to drop it into the iPad???
So Im a little unsure where to go from here.....
The App just wont drop into the iPad?
you don't drop the APPs on the iPad.
1) When you sync, click on the device icon in the left side panel and you will bring up the iPad configuration pages.
2) Click on the tab for Applications, and then go down and check in the check boxes the ones you want to be synced to your iPad.
3) Hit Apply and let it sync.

This should work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I don't have my iPad with me, so I'm not certain it's exactly the same, but on my iPhone, under the General Settings is a setting called Restrictions. It removes the icon for various apps from the desktop, but doesn't remove them from the phone. You might check there and see if you can re-enable it. It's possible it's password protected, in which case, you're probably stuck unless you can get the password.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a iPad for work and work gave it to me set up with all the programs that I need for work.
BUT they gave it to me with the App Store removed off it so I cant download ANY apps! So this is no fun and no good at all.
Is there any way I can get the App Store back on it or get Apps onto it with out jail breaking it? Any thoughts....

My thoughts are simply this: You don't own the iPad, your company does. And since it's their property and given to you for employment purposes, don't you think you should comply with what they've done?

Obviously they removed the App store so you or another employees would not arbitrarily download games and other apps that are not work related.

Reaction score
I'd imagine they'd take it off you if you installed things on it anyway. It ain't yours is it.

Reaction score
Its not yours, they dont want you to put software on their machine.

Reaction score
Personally, I think that the OP may be capable of weighing the risks of any modifications he may make to the device. The OP is looking for advice regarding the ability to get the app store back. Regardless of what his work intended, the OP is probably aware of what he/she is doing.

Just my two cents, not trying to start an argument

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
It's not HIS iPad?

Personally, I think that the OP may be capable of weighing the risks of any modifications he may make to the device. The OP is looking for advice regarding the ability to get the app store back. Regardless of what his work intended, the OP is probably aware of what he/she is doing.

Just my two cents, not trying to start an argument

While I see the point about the OP being able to make his own decisions, I have to politely say that I believe the point that everyone is making is that OP does not own the iPad, rather his employer does. The OP's employer likely has reasons why they disabled the App Store and disabled app downloads. In only my opinion, I feel OP should respect & obey his employer's restrictions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
itouch,mac pro,imac,mini,mac book pro,appletv
just curious

really curious about the nature of your work?
if you dont mind

Reaction score
While I see the point about the OP being able to make his own decisions, I have to politely say that I believe the point that everyone is making is that OP does not own the iPad, rather his employer does. The OP's employer likely has reasons why they disabled the App Store and disabled app downloads. In only my opinion, I feel OP should respect & obey his employer's restrictions.

Yep, it is most likely that the employer does not want the OP to have the app store. However, there is also a chance it was removed by mistake (who knows?). So the OP may want to get it back on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Most companies have this type of policy in place.
They give you the iPad because of productivity reasons, not for you to 'customize' it ( and increase their IT Support costs )

Cheers ... McBie

C

chas_m

Removing the App Store was a VERY conscious decision on the part of the employer, so I'd recommend you work around this problem by buying your own personal iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If the company has a deployment solution with MDM capabilities in place, they can also query the device for a list of installed apps without you knowing, so if you don't want to get into trouble, behave :)

Reaction score
I made an account just to post this

To everyone telling the OP to get his/her own Ipad, you're contributing nothing.

I am in a similar situation, only there's no moral ambiguity. The Ipad was purchased to control a Sonos system. The app store isn't there, so I can't install the Sonos app. If you don't know how to fix the problem, don't post anything. If you know how to fix it, post the solution. There are probably many people searching for the answer to this, and this thread right now, is the first one that pops up on google for "The app store is not on my IPAD".

So if you don't know how to do it, don't just post "get your own etc".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
The problem with your logic is that you're ignoring the fact that the OP posted about it being a work iPad, issued by his employer. Not his own that he should feel free to modify. If something isn't yours, you don't need to make changes to it without permission.

That said. If you don't have the App Store on your iPad the first place to check is:

Settings --> General --> Restrictions

That is where you would go to "turn off" the App Store on a personal device. There is also the ability to load separate profiles (this is how my GF's company controls their iOS devices) which can disable certain features.

The only question is, did you buy your iPad new, and where did you buy it from?

Reaction score
I'm not sure, My wife's office is not in the same city as head office, so she doesn't really have access to IT support. Their IT guy just ships stuff to her to use, and everything is locked down, but he doesn't set them up properly, and he's not around to do admin stuff. I'm a software engineer, so I do most of her IT stuff as a favor. So all this restriction stuff just gets in my way, when I'm trying to fix stuff so she can do her job.

As an example this Ipad was acquired with the sole purpose of controlling the office's Sonos music system. The ipad does not have the sonos app installed so it's not like he's configured it properly, and I'm trying to add games or something to it. Over zealous IT guy locks everything down without first installing what is actually needed. SO it's a $500 paper weight right now.

I'm just going to reflash the firmware.

C

chas_m

OR you could, you know, call the IT guy and explain the situation.

I don't know anything about the OP's or your employer, but I have seen people get fired by thinking that the company-issued iPad was theirs and putting their own stuff on it. So there's that.

I certainly see your point about the issue with the Sonos app and I agree that IT people can be complete, um, numbskulls about stuff sometimes but if you want GOOD advice instead of just "what I want to hear" advice, I'd say you need to go through official channels and up the chain if necessary, but IME companies that issue company-owned iPads tend to frown on employees "going rogue" with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
What chas_m said... My company is going to be issuing iPads at a point in the near future. Any attempts to alter them will result in immediate termination. Fortunately ours won't be leaving the building, so it's not something that we really will need to be concerned about.

The other point that was made is also very relevant. Perhaps your wife should be contacting her IT department to fix the issue. Because if her company is anything like mine, the moment that a DFU Reset is performed, she may have someone to answer to. A DFU Reset will probably fix the permissions problem by completely resetting the system, but it may create an unemployment problem. Nobody is going to post something malicious here. Many people are well aware of how to circumvent these kind of things but that doesn't mean that they will just post up the how to when it may not be the best plan.

Her companies IT guy being incompetent is another issue altogether...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.