Stuck at the apple start up icon

Reaction score
I have a friend that some how manged to forget her password. So she goes online and looks up a single user command she knew nothing about and now it stuck at start up. I know a lot about macs but this one I just can't fix. I had to hunt down the command she used.

mount -uw /
rm -rf /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

I know this command I have used it myself once but I have never seen it with the "-rf" and I am guessing that is what did the damage. Does anyone have any ideas on what this did or how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

I tested this in the past and it worked, but as you can see, without the -rf

End of the day, if she has the install discs (which she should), it's as simple as booting from her install disc, and resetting the password.

Insert disc.
Reboot.
As soon as you hear the chime hold the C key down.
Release it once you see the spinning gear.
Select language and click next/continue.
In the menu bar go to utilities and select reset password.

OP
S
Reaction score
it's the "-rf" command i am sure of it if she had read done a little more she would have seen the same thing happened to him when he put it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
That's my thoughts on it

I don't understand command lines, and have only played with them for curiosity/testing purposes, but never without a time machine backup, a cloned backup, and my install discs at hand.

If I were you friend, I'd be reaching for those install discs now :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes it's easier to bit the bullet.
How much time and frustration is $29 worth to you? :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.