If you Use Bootcamp on an imac can you play games that you would play on Windows?

Reaction score
hey all first post :D exciting any way ive got an imac and am an avid gamer but due to the lack of games available on apple computers in general i havent been able to purchase the games wanted, and therefore was wondering if bootcamp would let me install games that you would only find on microsoft computers.

thanks...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Yes, by using Boot Camp to install Windows on your iMac you will be able to play Windows games the same as if you were on a Windows machine. Of course it depends on which iMac you own, how much memory, graphics chipset, etc. it has as to which games will play best.

Each Windows game lists the minimum requirements for play. You can measure your machine against the requirements - same as you would if you had a Windows computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
And don't make the mistake I made, when I installed Win7 for some odd reason I installed the 32 bit version. Couldn't figure out why only 3.4 GB of RAM was available when I have 12GB. Turns out only the 64 bit version of Win7 will recognize more than that.

I re-installed Win7 64 bit and now I have 12GB of RAM and it improved my gaming snigificantly.

BTW an i3 iMac with a 1 GB graphics card and a ton of RAM is a pretty dam good gamer. Plus I can now work from home using all the PC based software I need.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
We do have Steam now for the Mac platform. You can also get great deals on there and they have a Easter sale going on now

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.