iMac27 Dilema

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13, Mac Mini x86, iMac G4, Macintosh SE/30, almost every generation of iPod & an iPone 4
Hi guys, just registered today, although I've predominantly been a reader (lurker/guest) here for a while..

Anyway, I have an issue I just cannot get my head around..

My company sold a customer an iMac27, Core i7. The customer said it was the wrong specification and returned it.
So, the company put it up for sale, brand new, but opened.
Being a Mac owner I couldn't resist and bought it at a greatly reduced price and no sales tax. Win + win!

I opened the box and set it up, it comes with the wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse, so I installed batteries into the keyboard and mouse and also dug through the documentation.

My only concern was that the customer had perhaps put a password on this iMac.
Well I powered it on and the folder icon appeared in the centre of the screen, so the customer erased the OS!

I dug through the iMac packaging that contains the keyboard and mouse, there is documentation but no installation disk :|
Well, my G5 skills kicked in and I then inserted my OSX Snow Leopard (Retail version) Disk
I tried to make it boot from the CD but it wouldn't. I then connected a wired Mighty Mouse and wired keyboard and tried again

The Apple logo came up but it doesn't boot off the installation disk. Plus, as the x86 iMac has no EFI access, I cannot eject my [beloved] OSX 10.6 install disk.

No I don't want to have to send this back to Apple's Repair Centre to get this resolved, so I am hoping someone can advise me what I need to do to get OSX to install or eject the disk now nestled within the iMac!

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Just contact Apple @ they're website and request the install disk for your particular iMac.
Should be no problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know why the retail Snow Leopard disk did not work. It should have.

Anyway, try the eject procedure that's shown in the following video to see if you can remove the DVD. LINK

Once you get the disk out, contact Apple and ask if you can order an original set of disks for the machine. You'll need to supply them with the model number.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With the Wired mouse plugged in, Press the power button and hold down the left button and keep it down. The DVD should eject.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13, Mac Mini x86, iMac G4, Macintosh SE/30, almost every generation of iPod & an iPone 4
Thanks guys, I'll give that a go and contact Apple UK and ask them for an install disk :¬)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.