I have no "apple" menu icon

Reaction score
be patient here:) and thanks in advance for any help, i'm a mac newbie!....mac pro os x 10.6.7...safari...

i thought i was goin' nuts, but i really don't have the little "apple" menu icon in the upper left hand corner...i have gone to preferences and see no option there to add...i've re-booted...still no "apple" menu icon...not seeing any option to re-start, shut-down or sleep without doing it from the keyboard....eeeeee

also, there is no bar across the top that says "file", etc...hmmm...anyone?....anyone?...

thanks! PJ

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only times I have had no bar up top were in Snow Leopard and just pointing and clicking up there brought it back. Not sure if that is the issue or not in your case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Did you change the screen resolution/size? Maybe it got squeezed out of the visible screen space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Could it be the main display got switched to a secondary monitor somehow.

OP
P
Reaction score
nope on the screen size.....nope on main display switched to a secondary monitor....let me ask y'all...i installed office for mac (big mistake, btw) a few weeks ago...it asked to partition my computer (in a sep. window) for windows...i thought that was a requirement for office....later found out not a requirement....am i open in the windows partition?...can i "un-partition"?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this the Mac OSX version of Office? If so that makes no sense at all.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
i installed office for mac (big mistake, btw) a few weeks ago...it asked to partition my computer (in a sep. window) for windows
What? Office does not ask you to partition your drive. It is a regular Mac application much like any other and does not require you to have a separate partition. Are you sure that was Office you were installing? I'm wondering if that is somehow connected.

OP
P
Reaction score
yes, office for mac os x...it was purchased thru microsoft....the partition prompt, which i realized AFTER i did it, was a bogus prompt thru microsoft (as if!)...right now, i just want all of it OFF and OUT of my beautiful new mac!...i haven't done much on the computer, so i am thinking about a total re-do (re-install)....good or bad idea?...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've installed Office for Mac OS X 2008 and 2011 and was never prompted about creating a partition.

Can you supply us with the link where you downloaded MS Office from? I'm assuming it was from the Microsoft on line store since that's the only legal place it can be downloaded from.

OP
P
Reaction score
first off....thanks to y'all for being soooooooo helpful!!!....i can't believe it!:)

https://buy.officeformac.com/store?...cale=en_US&SiteID=msmacus&id=QuickBuyCartPage

is this what you mean?....yep, it came from the ms store....but right now, i'm concerned about having no menu bar at all....just thought i'd throw the whole "office ordeal" in the mix, in case y'all thought that would've made a difference....arrrrgh!....frustrating!:)

i've checked partitions, and i show 1. macintosh HD 2. time machine backups

i re-started in safe mode (takes longer to boot now---after 2 restarts)...

the microsoft "bootcamp" is still asking me to do a windows partition, but no way!...lol

still no menu bar or neat little apple in the upper left corner...:(...

OP
P
Reaction score
OMG....the menu bar is "hiding" behind the frame of my monitor!...but how to reduce the size of the desktop image to include the bar on the screen????....jeeeeez....

OP
P
Reaction score
got it.....i feel so retarded (no offense please)....who knows how many bogus adjustments i've made....hope i haven't REALLY screwed something up! LOL....PJ

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bootcamp will only ask you to partition if you run it. Just don't run Bootcamp! Bootcamp is an installer for running Windows on your Mac and makes a partition. I have never seen Bootcamp come up all by itself and demand to partition.

I will check on the Menubar hiding issue and get back to you if I can find something. Have you messed with the monitor resolution at all?

Tell me, if you move the mouse all the way up and keep going does the bar come down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Or just maybe zoomed in.
Put a finger on control and scroll down on your trackpad with 2 fingers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or just maybe zoomed in.
Put a finger on control and scroll down on your trackpad with 2 fingers.

That is a very good point and can easily happen. Have done it a few times hitting keys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.