22" Cinema display Power adaptor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" 2.66ghz 4GB ram 640GB HD, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3.
Hi, I have a 22" cinema display but no power adaptor! Does anyone know where i can get one (tried ebay) or can you get a non apple power supply?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Besides an older Mac with an ADC port, the only power adapter sold is an Apple DVI to ADC converter. It's almost $100. The monitor was made to get power from the ADC port.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that, Is there any reason i cannot take the display to an electrical engineer & cut off the apple power connector & put on a different one as long as it's 240 volts (uk) in & 16 volts out to the screen? This should not effect the usb or the dvi should it??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Exactly which Apple Display is this? The only 22" I know of has an ADC (Not DVI) that does Power and the monitor signals.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i know this confused me as well! but i did some searching and found that the very first 22" screens had DVI then it all went to ADC, From Wikipedia....The first model—the 22-inch Apple Cinema Display—was introduced in September 1999 alongside the Power Mac G4 and used DVI for video input. It was enclosed in a high-density plastic frame with an easel-style stand and had a display resolution of 1600 × 1024. This model was upgraded in July 2000 with the Apple Display Connector (ADC), which ran DVI, USB, and 25V power through a single connector. It was eventually replaced by a 20-inch model on January 28, 2003 that sported a widescreen display with up to 1680 × 1050 resolution.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pic of the connector...

DSCN8563.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The pic is neither DVI nor ADC. Looks like a connection for the old fashioned serial port from pre-G3 days.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for that, Is there any reason i cannot take the display to an electrical engineer & cut off the apple power connector & put on a different one as long as it's 240 volts (uk) in & 16 volts out to the screen? This should not effect the usb or the dvi should it??

Firstly...What electrical engineers do you know that know how to work on computers...and specifically know how to work on an Apple Display's ADC cable?

Second...the ADC cable is actually very complex...in that it carries the power, video, and audio signals for the monitor. Most monitor cables only carry the video signal.

Third...What knowledgeable electrical engineer do you know that will do this for free...or will do it for a price that won;t cost you more than a brand new modern monitor!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pic of the connector...

Wow...I don't think I've ever seen that connector for an Apple monitor. And like Harry said...that's not an ADC or a DVI connector.

Please post a picture of the monitor so we know what we're dealing with.

Thanks,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow...I don't think I've ever seen that connector for an Apple monitor. And like Harry said...that's not an ADC or a DVI connector.

Please post a picture of the monitor so we know what we're dealing with.

Thanks,

- Nick

I have not seen a 22" like that either but he posted a URL saying the early 22" were not ADC. I have never heard that before but I am sure he found what he found.

I agree, can you post a couple of pics of the front and back of the monitor?

That pic of the power connector looks like my very old Powerbook which has a strange Multi pin plug and jack for power.

The OP is correct. Check this URL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Cinema_Display

And this gives the specs and says DVI! I never knew.

http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display.html

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not seen a 22" like that either but he posted a URL saying the early 22" were not ADC. I have never heard that before but I am sure he found what he found.

I agree, can you post a couple of pics of the front and back of the monitor?

That pic of the power connector looks like my very old Powerbook which has a strange Multi pin plug and jack for power.

The OP is correct. Check this URL!

Apple Cinema Display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this gives the specs and says DVI! I never knew.

Cinema Display Original (22-Inch) Specs (Cinema Display, N/A, N/A) @ EveryMac.com

As we both know...Apple has used & experimented with SOOOO MANY different port types for monitors...and I have most of the adapters to prove it!!! ;) While the 'Windows World" still backwards compatibility for VGA ports.

Yea...checked out that link for the monitor from 1999...YIKES...that 22" LCD monitor originally cost $3999. Being a long time Macintosh/computer guy...I have all sorts of stories about "how much things used to cost!!!" But holy smokes...almost $4000 for a monitor.:(:(

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As we both know...Apple has used & experimented with SOOOO MANY different port types for monitors...and I have most of the adapters to prove it!!! ;) While the 'Windows World" still backwards compatibility for VGA ports.

Yea...checked out that link for the monitor from 1999...YIKES...that 22" LCD monitor originally cost $3999. Being a long time Macintosh/computer guy...I have all sorts of stories about "how much things used to cost!!!" But holy smokes...almost $4000 for a monitor.:(:(

- Nick

All very true words Pigoo! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
Perhaps this post is a little late, but I have the exact same monitor as igeoff and was able to find the power supply on eBay. Here's a pic of what the whole cable looks like. There are three ends that come out of the ring that you see; USB cable, DVI, and the three-pin connector to the power supply, which is the silvery gray hockey puck shaped unit in the middle.

I bought the monitor for $40 and the power supply for $70. Feeling a bit more pleased about my purchase after reading the post from pigoo3 saying that it was originally $4k!

IMG_20110628_110917.jpg

IMG_20110628_110956.jpg

Reaction score
Power supply

Perhaps this post is a little late, but I have the exact same monitor as igeoff and was able to find the power supply on eBay. Here's a pic of what the whole cable looks like. There are three ends that come out of the ring that you see; USB cable, DVI, and the three-pin connector to the power supply, which is the silvery gray hockey puck shaped unit in the middle.

I bought the monitor for $40 and the power supply for $70. Feeling a bit more pleased about my purchase after reading the post from pigoo3 saying that it was originally $4k!

Do you know the part # for the round power supply, im in need of one for my M5662.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Power supply

Have you checked ebay?

- Nick

I found the part #, looked on ebay only to find 1 seller for 100$ I will wait until I can find a cheaper adapter, someone will find one in the garage and put it on ewbay eventually. I just like the way the monitor looks so i'll put it in the closet for now. I also have the matching 19 IN A1038 that needs the other type of adapter, its like 25$ on ebay. So looks like I will wait until I find the adapter for my dual matching screen set up.

~Wavesrsnow

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found the part #, looked on ebay only to find 1 seller for 100$ I will wait until I can find a cheaper adapter, someone will find one in the garage and put it on ewbay eventually. I just like the way the monitor looks so i'll put it in the closet for now. I also have the matching 19 IN A1038 that needs the other type of adapter, its like 25$ on ebay. So looks like I will wait until I find the adapter for my dual matching screen set up.

~Wavesrsnow

Just in case...check powerbookmedic.com. Long shot...they may have the part...and maybe it will be an acceptable price.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.