Offline viewing of iTunes movie rental?

Reaction score
I did not find anything recent on the boards regarding offline viewing of iTunes movie rentals.

I have only rented a movie once on iTunes and I was connected to the Internet the whole time. Now I am going on an overnight ferry ride and would like to watch a movie.

Should I start the viewing process with an Internet connection to start the 24-hour countdown?
Or, can I start the 24-hour countdown while offline (probably not, but better to ask)?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, you need to start the movie while you have net access.

Have read several reports from discontented travelers that did not. You just get a message saying you're not connected to the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, you need to start the movie while you have net access.

Have read several reports from discontented travelers that did not. You just get a message saying you're not connected to the internet.

I never had a problem with this. I actually just did it a few weeks ago on a flight back home from Seattle. As long as you've downloaded the movie to your iPad, you shouldn't need net access.

OP
T
Reaction score
I had also read many posts that said you had to start the process online, however they were a few years old.

I am leaving on Friday. I'll test it out and let you know if you have to be online. Strange that the support page from Apple does not make this clear.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes indeed, it has been quite awhile since I've heard anything pertaining to this. So, it very well may not be a requirement any longer.

It could also be a different requirement for the iPad vs iTunes on a notebook. Just don't know.

OP
T
Reaction score
Just started playing a rented movie with Airport turned off. No problem at all, so it is possible to start playing a rented movie while offline.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.