macbook pro won't turn on

Reaction score
hi all. apologies in advance as i am not the most tech educated person. i have a macbook pro (2007, i believe) that will not start up. it was working fine last night & shut down properly. the battery lights indicate a full charge (all 5 continuously lit) & the magsafe is a steady green. however, when pressing the power button, nothing happens. no sounds as if it's attempting to turn on, no beeps, no sleep light, nothing. i have tried removing the battery & booting just from the plug, no luck. i tried removing the plug & battery & holding the power button down to reset, no luck. i've tried holding it down with the battery in & the plug in, no response no matter how long the power is held down.

any ideas? i'm pretty desperate here as i. can't really afford a new computer or repairs right now, and this is my only computer. :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like you did the correct procedure to reset the SMC (remove the battery, press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds). Aside from the symptom of getting no display on the screen, are there any other sounds (any whirring noises like the fans or hard drives moving)? Have you tried connecting it to an external display to see if you get video from it that way?

Depending on the age of the machine, it's possible that you may be included in the NVIDIA settlement, assuming this is purely an issue with the video. You say it's a 2007 model - is there any way you can double-check on that? Does it have a manufacture date under the battery?

OP
K
Reaction score
It sounds like you did the correct procedure to reset the SMC (remove the battery, press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds). Aside from the symptom of getting no display on the screen, are there any other sounds (any whirring noises like the fans or hard drives moving)? Have you tried connecting it to an external display to see if you get video from it that way?

Depending on the age of the machine, it's possible that you may be included in the NVIDIA settlement, assuming this is purely an issue with the video. You say it's a 2007 model - is there any way you can double-check on that? Does it have a manufacture date under the battery?

thanks for the response. there is no sound or movement whatsoever. it is completely silent & seems just dead. i can try hooking it up via dvi tomorrow when i have access to that setup (i had it hooked up to the tv that way last night & it was working fine) but i don't think it's even powering up.

it says copyright apple 2007 or something along those lines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.