this old imac

Reaction score
imac os x.6.7

My imac is about 5 or 6 years old. lately- last 2 months it has begun acting funny. For example, though it never did this before, when i hit the back arrow, i ge ta drop down asking me if i'm sure i want to leave this page. not only that, there are times when it will not take yes for an answer.
when I tell it get new mail, it will do so eventually but much slower than before.

then maybe i want to put a doc in a folder. I get a message "you cannot put doc x in folder f. you don't have permission".
what is imac thinking? i am the only person who uses this computer. I am its sole administrator.

my basic question is, how long should an imac last? however if anyone wants to offer help with any of the problems i mentioned

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac g3 500Mhz
Well, I am currently using an 11 year old imac g3 DV special edition graphite machine and yes it's slow but is still running like a champ. I haven't had any problems. I've been using the machine since Feb of this year. Although, I am not an expert on imacs so I couldn't tell you what the problem is.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you please give us the Specs of your iMac? 6 years old could be a G5 or early Intel. Tell us a bit more including the OSX version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" iMac 2.8GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB HDD, 1GB Radeon HD 5750
It must be intel since he says it has snow leopard. You should probably back up and then do a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I find that to be one of the most rejuvenating things for boggy macs. Especially if you have sequentially upgraded from Tiger to Leopard to Snow Leopard. Also, you should tell us your specs because for all we know you're running on 512mb of ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.