iTunes took my iPhone data

Reaction score
i recently plugged my iPhone into my iMac and i got an error message like 'iTunes could not read my device' or something akin. i did a restore like it asked and now ALL of my phone's data has went missing. Numbers, Notes, Apps...everything.
i've tried to restore purchases etc within iTunes, to no avail.
is there anything i can do?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When doing a restore it tries to use a backup to get your old content/data back in place, if there was no backup image then the restore will get you just a pristine clean iPhone..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Seconded, the restore function acts a little like a Factory Reset, except you can usually then restore to a backup you have made of your iPhone/ iPod/ iPad. If there has been no backup made by yourself through iTunes then unfortunately it would seem your data is lost forever. As for repeat downloads for purchased items, iTunes generally doesn't support this (they state for piracy reasons) although if reports are to be believed, they may just change this soon.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.