OWC Extreme Pro 6G SSD 120 gb?

Reaction score
Guys,First of all your forum ıs awesome thanks for your all support

I wıll buy a new MBP 15" 2.2 GHz and upgrade ıt myself wıth usıng OWC.I wıll buy 8 gb memory and a SSD.My questıons ıs :

7200 rpm 500 gb ıs standart wıth thıs laptop.I wıll buy a OWC Extreme Pro 6G SSD with a Data Doubler.But does using a slower hardrıve wıth SSD
reduces ıts performance? also ıs ıt too hard to ınstall ıt? ı saw some ınstall vıdeos at OWC but ı am not soo sure

What are your opınıons?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you install the data doubler from OWC and use it to house an SSD drive, you can set the SSD drive to be the boot drive. That means installing OS X on the SSD. The other internal drive can then be used for storage or you can even keep a bootable copy of OS X on it as backup. The speed of the 500 GB drive will not impact the speed (slow it down) of the SSD.

As to the difficulty of installing it... use your own judgement. Watch the video and decide if you're capable of doing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
Im not so sure if its necessary to purchase that precise SSD.
Someone should correct me if Im wrong, because I've been wondering this myself, but the Optical bay is a 3Gbit link speed SATA. Which means that you would be better off with the older SATA II SSD from OWC, as you will not be able to take advantage of the 6GB write speed?

like I said, correct me if Im wrong. Im just mentioning it, a) so you don't spend the extra money - as the newer drives are more expensive. and, b) Im not sure this merits a new thread of its own...ha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 Macbook Pro, 2.5, 200GB 7200rpm HDD, 4GB RAM- 24" iMac 2.9, 1TB HDD, 4GB, 2 iPhones, 3 iPods
The new MBPs have at SATA 3 connection to the current hard drive and a SATA 2 to the optical bay. Therefore what makes sense is replacing the current HDD with a SSD and then moving the HDD to the optical bay. That way you can take advantage of the SATA 3 speed.

I would also recommend installing your applications to the SSD so that they boot quicker. Apps like final cut or photoshop will run a lot faster. Just make sure that your SSD is large enough to house all your apps. Also you won't be able to store all your photos or scratch footage on the SSD so you may need to move certain files back and forth between disks depending on which project you are working on.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone.Thats what ı wıll do when ı buy my new SSD.I wıll replace ıt wıth the current hard drıve and ınstall that drıve to the optical bay.

So,from your responses,ı have understand that the other drıver that comes wıth MBP wıll not affect SSD.

Would you suggest me to buy MBP wıth 750 gb 5400 rpm or 500 gb 7200 rpm? whıch we can change ıt wıth no charge ıf you buy from official apple site

Also please consıder battery lıfe to?does ıt make a dıfference ın battery lıfe_

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
what makes sense is replacing the current HDD with a SSD and then moving the HDD to the optical bay. That way you can take advantage of the SATA 3 speed.

Actually if you do have an HDD in your machine it would be best to leave it where it is to preserve the SMS (sudden motion sensor) which is protecting your HDD from data loss.
You will still notice a very significant speed increase with the SATA II SSD nonetheless.
Even better would be to just have dual SSD's and be done with it. As is the plan for me and my MBP.
but definitely it is not a good idea to put the stock HDD in the optibay.

as for your question about which drive to choose, just plan for how much storage you think you'll need (500Gb or 750Gb). If you're loading the OS and apps on to an SSD, and just using the HDD for storing music, documents, videos etc, then read/write speed will not come into play as much. You will not benefit from listening to itunes off of an SSD more than a HDD.
But like I said, two SSDs would be the best configuration. And apple does offer a SSD as an option, so thats something to consider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
You might chat with OWC sales.

Several months ago OWC claimed their SSD was faster than the one supplied by Apple, which I think were then manufactured by Samsung.

Since then newer SSD's have surely been coming out.

Dunno, Apple SSD might be faster now. However you can ask.

Not sure what you are expecting the advantage to more speed with a greater expense is going to be that useful.

Personally I say I am really into Turbo-Charging and using Nitrous oxide. However, in fourteen months the next MBP will really be interesting to have that SSD money to spent on it.

Why not tell us what you want to use the computer for?

edit:
Someone here on the forum has a tagline: Hold onto the original install discs like grim death. They are hidden somewhere in the box. Have fun finding them.

OP
A
Reaction score
Several months ago OWC claimed their SSD was faster than the one supplied by Apple, which I think were then manufactured by Samsung.

Since then newer SSD's have surely been coming out.

Dunno, Apple SSD might be faster now. However you can ask.

Not sure what you are expecting the advantage to more speed with a greater expense is going to be that useful.

Personally I say I am really into Turbo-Charging and using Nitrous oxide. However, in fourteen months the next MBP will really be interesting to have that SSD money to spent on it.

Why not tell us what you want to use the computer for?

edit:
Someone here on the forum has a tagline: Hold onto the original install discs like grim death. They are hidden somewhere in the box. Have fun finding them.

ı wıll be usıng thıs computer mostly for programıng and edıtıng fılms but , ı want to play newer games too.

About the battery lıfe which ıs also very ımportant for me,does me HDD choıce change battery lıfe sıgnıfıcantly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.