• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple ends $30 MobileMe and iWork rebate program

Reaction score
Apple ends $30 MobileMe and iWork rebate program

mobileme-logo41911.jpg
An internal memo suggests Apple is ending the US$30 MobileMe and iWork rebate program. The program offers customers a $30 discount on a $99 MobileMe subscription or the $79 iWork suite when they buy a new Mac. According to the memo, Apple has told all resellers to end the program on April 18th. All references to the rebate must be removed by the end of that business day.

This change is stirring up the persistent rumor that MobileMe is undergoing a major overhaul. Apple recently stopped selling boxed copies of MobileMe leading to speculation that some or all the cloud service may be offered for free. This change may be announced in the upcoming months, possibly at WWDC and may be tied to Apple's iOS 5 update.

The termination of the iWork rebate program is not tied to MobileMe, but it does hint an update to the productivity suite is on the way. The desktop version of the suite was updated in 2009 and is in need of a refresh. Much of the changes to iWork in 2010 focused on bringing the applications to the iPad. iWork 11 was expected to debut with the roll out of the Mac App store, but that rumor failed to materialize.

Apple ends $30 MobileMe and iWork rebate program originally appeared on TUAW on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Geez - wish I had known about that. I paid full price for MM and Aperture (which is now $79 in the App store) when I bought my Mac... oh well :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS Lion & IPhone 4 with iOS5
I've had MobileMe since it was called a .mac account and heard the rumors about it soon being free. However, this morning I got an email notice saying that my account is coming up for renewal for $99 in June. I guess the rumors were FALSE. Darn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've had MobileMe since it was called a .mac account and heard the rumors about it soon being free. However, this morning I got an email notice saying that my account is coming up for renewal for $99 in June. I guess the rumors were FALSE. Darn.

Why do you say they're false? Maybe it will be free, just not yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Lets hope it is either free or set at a price that is just too good to ignore

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.