Do I need to Backup my hard drive when doing an platform upgrade

Reaction score
I realize this is probably a ridiculously straightforward question. I am currently at a OSX 10.5.8, and its looking like i'm going to need to upgrade to a 10.6.7 or higher.

The issue is that i use this computer to do my editing, FCP Studio, I've got tons of Sound Effects in my Itoons and i Really REALLY don't want to lose anything.

Am I going to need to back up everything before upgrading to the 10.6.7?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You should make a habit of backing up your computer regularly, especially when you are devoting a lot of time into production or any kind of work for that matter.

I do it before I update all the time, and with time machine setup it is not difficult in the least bit. Better safe than sorry.

OP
B
Reaction score
You should make a habit of backing up your computer regularly, especially when you are devoting a lot of time into production or any kind of work for that matter.

I do it before I update all the time, and with time machine setup it is not difficult in the least bit. Better safe than sorry.

Agreed, the only problem is that i have a 1TB computer that is filled to the brim with 300gb n change left over, I don't have any externals that will take that back up regularly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
If you can't back up all of your files, back up the most important ones just incase something goes sideways.

- Kyle

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.