Snow Leopard vs. Lion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 3.2GHZ IntelCore i3 27", iPHONE 3GS (8g)
Hey everybody!

So I'm just curious onto what everyones' opinion is on the new LION, os for your macs?

Im running the good ol' snow leopard (10.6.7), but just curious to how the LION is running.

Is it good? Screen shots of anything different? Will it be worth it to update to the LION?

Please let me know :)

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only people at this time who have Lion are Developers and they are not allowed to say anything, only look for bugs. Lion will be out sometime later this year. Forget when. Ask then.

In the mean time, 10.6.7 is a great OS.

OP
bookie_22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 3.2GHZ IntelCore i3 27", iPHONE 3GS (8g)
D'Oh, well i guess the A.D.D has gotten to the best of me. ;)
Thought it was released already!
But i do agree, 10.6.7 is running good.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only thing we really know about Lion is the Interface will be a combo of OSX and IOS from the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
how much should we expect to upgrade to lion if we already have Snow Leopard?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OS X Lion will likely sell for full price: $129.00. There may be some specials offered by Amazon or NewEgg for a pre-order. Sort of the same thing they did for Snow Leopard and Windows 7. That's just my guess, like everyone else, we won't know until Apple announces the price.

Reaction score
Leopard is quicker than Lion in real life

Hi!
Well just to point out some specific questions about this issue, objectively, since I also have to decide about buying a macbook in summer or now.

1. I have the feeling that Apple is just going to do the same mistake with OSX as Microsoft with Windows Vista. Better visuals against a heavy deterioration of the system resources as reported by some testers?

2. Lion, in real life (in wild life) is more dangerous and slower than Leopard, with all its consequences. Needless to say that it will be a Newborn Lion (baby lion) with all its consequences too.

3. The question is: who wants a tactile operative system in his/her non-tactile laptop? It's just like wanting bicycle wheels for your car.

4. Adapting the operative system of tactile devices to desktop/laptop systems: adaptation has been always a concern in all possible technical terms, further when it comes to adapt something to a very different reality/objective for what it was built, it really whispers a concern. Adaptation of visuals and OS management of a tactile device are a clear mistake to commit against a non tactile device.

5. The well known and good reputation winner Snow Leopard will be replaced by something that promises stupid things (almost useless and undesiderable things) against an already reported important worsening of system resources (in the beta tests). You can hope Apple enginyeers trying to make faster a system which will be SLOWER by definition, but I'm sincerely not going to take that risk.

Conclusion: I know that it will probably be a decision against the "Always update" living theory, or conservative in other words, but I don't want to make the same mistake that I made buying something new because it promises to be better for the simple fact of being new, even with the already filtered communications about the worsening of the system performance just as hapened with Windows Vista.
No, Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I won't quote the rant as it will just take up unnecessary space, but why not wait until you judge with your "thumb down" to see what it is that Lion actually is like when it is released?

Reaction score
Because if you wait for the lion to appear he will eat all previous systems (you will have to make a deep search in the jungle to find an "old" Leopard Macbook, if you can).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
troll... do some research!
Current OS, Snow Leopard!
Previous OS, Leopard, and still support as well as countless amounts of Machines on the market with Leopard!
But wait, still on the market, plenty of Macs with Tiger, and yes, even Panther on the market!
Ebay, craigs list.... do your search.

Oh, by the way, it was only with the introduction of Snow Leopard that Tiger support ceased, however, all the Tiger update downloads are still available from the Apple site.

I have no idea why I am wasting my time responding, but I will not post another response!

Reaction score
Just for the other users to know, I was obviously abbreviating Snow Leopard to Leopard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just for the other users to know, I was obviously abbreviating Snow Leopard to Leopard.

Well, since you're apparently not aware, you can't abbreviate Snow Leopard to Leopard as they are two (yes, 2) different OS X operating systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
In the line who wants tactical that might not be what you think screen wise it may have
a lot more to do with the new track pads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Shame trolls do not really understand what they are ranting about!

Reaction score
The only shame I see is that experienced/old forum users insult to the newcomers. I really see this as a blight on the reputation of the forum. Many new users may see, because of these few undesiderable people, the mac community as an hostile community and not wanting to be part of it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best thing for you to do is stick with Leopard or Snow Leopard if you feel that way. I have nothing against Lion so far from what I have seen, but one thing that will affect me is no Rosetta support. I am poor and have old apps and games that I need support for . Lion will not support them and I can't replace them.

Otherwise I will wait and see before passing any judgement on Lion. Wait till it's on the market first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
At Mac-Forums, it's important that everyone is treated with respect, even those you might disagree with on a topic.

The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines state:

Play nice.
Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

And with that, I'm locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.