different youtube player

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Early 2011
Hello, I was not sure where to post this question but as I'm a switcher I decided to post it here :D

In my first post I also have to say - I love my new MacBook Pro :)
Okay, here is my question:
On youtube, there is slightly different youtube player as normal...I mean, I've already seen youtube playback on safari before, but I've never seen a player like this, without possibility to choose video quality, captions, etc.

it looks like this
youtube.png

don't you know how to switch it to original youtube player?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's QuickTime which leads me to believe that one of two things has occurred:

1. You've installed Click2Flash which will play the H.264 version of the video when possible (H.264 is played in QuickTime).
2. You've joined the HTML5 beta and as such, you're getting the H.264 version of the video.

Have you done either of those two?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Early 2011
yeah, I made both things you've mentioned...so isn't it possible to have HTML5 videos in "classic looking" youtube player?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In Chrome and Opera, both of which use the WebM version, you see the "classic" interface. I don't use Safari but I'll take a look right now to see what I get. I have the feeling that the issue here is Click2Flash and not the HTML5 beta program.

EDIT: The HTML5 version of a video worked perfectly for me (I viewed this one). Click2Flash didn't even register which is to be expected given that the Flash player should never be loaded. In Click2Flash's preferences (Safari > Click2Flash > Preferences...), disable the YouTube support and try again. If the video hasn't yet been encoded and set up for HTML5 (they're working through all the videos), disabling the YouTube support should force the Flash version to play in which case you get the controls.

C

chas_m

Vansmith: Click2Flash is now a Safari Extension and consequently your directions are now slightly wrong. It should be Safari->Preferences->Extensions->Click2Flash etc.

There are now several other extensions that handle the HTML5/YouTube thing more gracefully as well. Might want to check those out (you can have multiple such extensions installed, just make sure only one is active -- and once you find the one you like the best, uninstall the others).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Early 2011
thank you guys for your answers, I will try other extensions as well...

but yeah, as vansmith said, videos not encoded in HTML5 would be played in H.264 player...it seems that I had bad luck and since I've bought my MacBook (3 days before) I've only been watching videos without HTML5 encoding :D

and I'm really surprised how fast I got this response...looks like Apple community is really worth joining :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vansmith: Click2Flash is now a Safari Extension and consequently your directions are now slightly wrong. It should be Safari->Preferences->Extensions->Click2Flash etc.
It would appear that there is indeed a Safari extension. If you get it from their homepage though, it looks as if they still offer the "classic" version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.