• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple sues Samsung for allegedly copying look and feel of iPhone, iPad

Reaction score
Apple sues Samsung for allegedly copying look and feel of iPhone, iPad

Apple has filed a new patent lawsuit against rival Samsung, accusing the company of illegally copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad for its own smartphone and tablet products.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Mmm I have the Galaxy S and used to have an iPhone 3G. Yeah it kinda looks the same - especially in those pics because they have the applications window open in grid view (an Android feature, not a Samsung feature). It feels very different though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
I was using a friend Galaxy S 4g and god, it looks a lot like an Iphone, in your hand feels like an Iphone, the same gestures, same way icons are positioned in desktop pages.
I do think samsung didn`t used their brains on this one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It looks exactly like an iPhone interface. That was the first thing I noticed when I turned on the Samsung Fascinate when it came out. It was actually a very good selling point for me when people would be looking for something like the iPhone when we [Verizon] didn't carry it yet.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Samsung deserve to be sued about this. its a blatent rip-off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Samsung to Respond 'Strongly' Against Apple Lawsuit - Mac Rumors
Yesterday, Apple filed suit against Samsung over their "Galaxy" line of Android-based smartphones and tablets. In a statement, Apple claimed that Samsung copied Apple's technology and user interfaces:
"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smartphone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products," the Journal quoted Apple's complaint as saying.

As many have noted, Apple also happens to be one of Samsung's biggest customers. Apple uses Samsung displays and semiconductors extensively in their iOS devices. Even so, Samsung says they will respond "strongly":
"Apple is one of our key buyers of semiconductors and display panels. However, we have no choice but respond strongly this time," an unidentified official was quoted as saying.

According to the Yahoo news article, Apple was Samsung's second-largest client in 2010 after Sony Corp and was responsible for $142 billion (4%) of Samsung's revenues last year.

I seriously can't see how Samsung could wiggle their way out of this in court, but I could see them ending any agreements between Apple(if it's even legal to do).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I seriously can't see how Samsung could wiggle their way out of this in court, but I could see them ending any agreements between Apple(if it's even legal to do).

We are talking about different business units within the parent company and shooting yourself in the foot is just stupid. If Samsung is smart they will let the software division for the mobile devices deal with this and not let it hamper their lucrative hardware business with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
We are talking about different business units within the parent company and shooting yourself in the foot is just stupid. If Samsung is smart they will let the software division for the mobile devices deal with this and not let it hamper their lucrative hardware business with Apple.

The problem is that it doesn't only deal with the user-interface, but the actual look of the device. If Samsung values their mobile market higher than having some income from Apple, then it is very possible for them to ditch Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The problem is that it doesn't only deal with the user-interface, but the actual look of the device. If Samsung values their mobile market higher than having some income from Apple, then it is very possible for them to ditch Apple.

Yeah. I still think Samsung would be foolish to ditch the hardware side over this but companies have done dumber things in the past.

Reaction score
Samsung should defiantly be sued for this there is no way they came up with this idea

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
So if Apple wants money from Samsung over this, I assume they're about to give a lump sum to LG, whose Fall 2006 Prada phone design they copied when making the original iPhone?

My apologies if this offends any zealous iPhone fans; I just consider the look-and-feel argument to be complete BS once there are more than one major competitor in a market and they've already clearly "borrowed" ideas from one another. Microsoft isn't suing Apple for OS X Lion having Windows-styled UI buttons, and I don't recall Apple suing Microsoft for Windows Vista having Spotlight in the corner of the screen.

EDIT: Addendum. I find this especially the case for current smart phones, where they're barely more than just a capacitive touchscreen showing a grid of apps. How many different ways are you going to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So if Apple wants money from Samsung over this, I assume they're about to give a lump sum to LG, whose Fall 2006 Prada phone design they copied when making the original iPhone?

My apologies if this offends any zealous iPhone fans; I just consider the look-and-feel argument to be complete BS once there are more than one major competitor in a market and they've already clearly "borrowed" ideas from one another. Microsoft isn't suing Apple for OS X Lion having Windows-styled UI buttons, and I don't recall Apple suing Microsoft for Windows Vista having Spotlight in the corner of the screen.

EDIT: Addendum. I find this especially the case for current smart phones, where they're barely more than just a capacitive touchscreen showing a grid of apps. How many different ways are you going to do that?

That's a good point. However, I just read a breakdown of Apple's filing (HERE) and it's not simply "you stole our look". Apple is arguing that they've built up an association of a certain look or style that is distinct and they've spent billions of dollars in advertising to achieve this product noticeability. (is that a real word?) So, it goes a little deeper and seems like it might actually be kind of tough to explain/argue in court. I'm sure it'll never reach court. These lawsuits always end in settlements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

You fail to understand the work that goes into creating such a user interface like that in iOS. There's a reason why Apple has so many patents for it...because THEY are the one's who spent the money towards R&D to come up with a solution that best works for what they want to do with it. So, when someone just comes out and copies everything...to the tee, why wouldn't it be worthy of a lawsuit? Until the iPhone came out with its interface, all other "smartphones" had scrolling lists of "programs" and other data, or briefly showed important programs on the home screen(BB), but these are all based on Windows variants of program viewing. Some androids have worked fine around their own interface style.

And frankly, those samsung phones don't look so good when legit iphone clones have a user interface almost identical to that of that samsung shown on the picture.
How many different ways are you going to do that?
If a company put an equivalent amount of R&D money towards their UI as Apple has done, there are an infinite number of possibilities. Some companies just tend to be leaching on the popular things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
MYmacROX, thanks for the link -- interesting that this seems to be more about the "image" of the phone in marketing. That puts a unique twist on things. That actually gives even less credibility to the case in my opinion, but we'll see how it goes. On a side note, since others were discussing it, I don't think this will affect relations with Samsung regardless of what happens. Samsung likes Apple as a hardware customer far too much.

You fail to understand the work that goes into creating such a user interface like that in iOS. There's a reason why Apple has so many patents for it...because THEY are the one's who spent the money towards R&D to come up with a solution that best works for what they want to do with it. So, when someone just comes out and copies everything...to the tee, why wouldn't it be worthy of a lawsuit? Until the iPhone came out with its interface, all other "smartphones" had scrolling lists of "programs" and other data, or briefly showed important programs on the home screen(BB), but these are all based on Windows variants of program viewing. Some androids have worked fine around their own interface style.

And frankly, those samsung phones don't look so good when legit iphone clones have a user interface almost identical to that of that samsung shown on the picture.

If a company put an equivalent amount of R&D money towards their UI as Apple has done, there are an infinite number of possibilities. Some companies just tend to be leaching on the popular things.

LG put a lot of R&D and work into their Prada phone design, and when Apple copied it right down to the interface being the capacitive touchscreen and grid of apps approach, they pretty much just acknowledged it and shrugged. Apple turning around and suing for a less blatant copy of their copy just comes off as hypocritical, precisely because everyone, including Apple, steals bits and pieces from each other. I fully understand the concept of protecting one's intellectual property - I just think this is abusing those laws in the way soccer players try to abuse refereeing when they feign being critically injured by a light tap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If I remember correctly, LG couldn't prove anything because unlike Apple, who were smart enough to not disclose their designs to the FCC(which would make all their designs public) until they are ready to sell it, LG decided to rush the word out for the Prada, before they were even ready to produce it. That's why their claim went nowhere fast.

As mentioned in some articles, the time Apple would of needed to create some user-interface movements, which were not existent on the Prada's interface, was not possible in the time frame after Prada was revealed...that does not even include other functions and features that Apple never even had prior experience from previous phones. As others have stated, it's all a mere coincidence...if it weren't, why wouldn't LG pursue things further?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You remember incorrectly. The Prada was shown and even in the running for a design award before the iPhone was ever announced, so there was no rushing going on. In addition, LG never pursued a lawsuit at all, because they actually had some class about the whole situation. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You remember incorrectly. The Prada was shown and even in the running for a design award before the iPhone was ever announced
Thats what I mentioned above dealing with the Prada being rushed so it could be shown off. It was the dumbest move LG made.
so there was no rushing going on.
Research the prada a little more. LG released all the info/specs/FCC before they even had a real mass-producable item, that was ready for sale. After doing that, do the same search for the iPhone.
In addition, LG never pursued a lawsuit at all, because they actually had some class about the whole situation.
yeah, sure, whatever! Class...that's why it was named "Prada," right? If you had a legit intellectual property claim, and didn't follow through, that's not called having class, it's called being stupid!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Between calling standard practice for every company that's not Apple a dumb move/"rushing" and taking a tongue-in-cheek comment (complete with smiley) way too seriously, it's pretty clear having a reasonable conversation you on this topic is out of the question. Have fun; I'm done in this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, am I to assume that a smiley face used in a conversation equal you not being serious? If so, why even bother commenting? :) ;D :p I can do that too

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.