RAM - 4GB or 8GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sept. '07 white 13" MacBook 8,2 - 10.7.5
I have about a four year old Macbook with a 160GB hard drive that is only half full and 1GB 667MHz of memory. I tolerated the thing being horrendously laggy way too long because I didn't know what to do about it. Upon investigation, I have concluded that I simply need more memory. I borrowed 4GB (2x2 cards) and it made a huge difference, but I need to give them back soon. So I know I need at least 4GB. My question is, would I be better off with 8GB? I do use the spaces feature. I have 12 spaces set up and at least nine or ten of them are always full. Generally I have three browser windows, e-mail, one or two Excel spreadsheets, three or four charts in another software program continuously streaming information, a few general folders open, and sometimes an internet radio program, all these going at the same time.

So is 4GB sufficient for me, or would I be better off with 8GB? And the related question is - do I have to stick with 667MHz or can I up the speed on that too? I've seen 1066MHz and higher speeds available.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What you didn't ask is if your MacBook is capable of supporting 8 gig of ram...and I can tell you that if it's 4 years old...it can't!:(

In fact...if it's a 4 year-old MacBook...officially (from Apple) it's only capable of supporting 2 gig of ram. But 3rd party folks have successfully installed 4 gig of ram...BUT...only around 3 gig is addressable.

So the bottom line is...your MacBook is probably NOT capable of supporting 8 gig or 4 gig of ram...but only around 3 gig.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a way I can tell how much of the memory the thing is actually using?

What about the thing makes it incapable of supporting more? What can I look for in the unit to see how much it will support? (I have another one of these too that is a bit less old. Maybe I could up that one instead.)

What speeds can I use? Am I stuck with 667MHz or can I increase that too?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a way I can tell how much of the memory the thing is actually using?

What about the thing makes it incapable of supporting more? What can I look for in the unit to see how much it will support? (I have another one of these too that is a bit less old. Maybe I could up that one instead.)

What speeds can I use? Am I stuck with 667MHz or can I increase that too?

You need to provide the system specs of your two computers...then we can provide exact answers.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly what specs do you need and where do I find them? (This sure seems like the harder way to answer the questions.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(This sure seems like the harder way to answer the questions.)

What makes you think this?

If you don't know your computers specifications (and don't know where to find them)...then neither we or you will be able to identify the the exact model computers you have...and the appropriate ram to order (if you decide to upgrade one or both of them).

It's just like when you go to an auto parts store looking for parts...you need to know the:

- year
- make
- model
- in many cases the engine size
- 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive (if it comes in a 4-wheel drive model)
- etc. etc.

To find this information...two places:

1. Apple Menu > About this Mac...for more general info.
2. Apple Menu > About this Mac > More Info...for more detailed info.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You can try crucial.com LINK. They have a free "tool" (free app) that scans your computer and tells you how much RAM you can upgrade to and what type is compatible.

Reaction score
Since I've been wondering the same question, I'm not going to make a new thread. How much faster is 8gb than 4gb? I just use my computer for college and I don't do all that multimedia stuff. The most I do at the same time is MS Word, Safari, and iTunes. I'm currently running 4GB and my question is: will the 8GB be worth it? Thanks in advance guys!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Since I've been wondering the same question, I'm not going to make a new thread. How much faster is 8gb than 4gb? I just use my computer for college and I don't do all that multimedia stuff. The most I do at the same time is MS Word, Safari, and iTunes. I'm currently running 4GB and my question is: will the 8GB be worth it? Thanks in advance guys!

not massively, unless you do alot of multi tasking. you wont see any noticeable difference for your uses.

estimate, around 5-10% quicker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
you can download Mactracker. Its a free app that will give you all the detailed information and specs about your apple product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.