Airport express an dlink dsl300t

C

ChrisAngus

having problems, I was using a netgear dsl384g but it keeps dropping it's connection so i went and bought a d-link dsl300t and airport express station. when i connect modem to imac by ethernet it works fine but if i connect the modem to airport express i get nothing.
if i reset the d-link modem i can then get into the modem settings but so as apply the changes thats it, no internet and i cant get back into the modem without a reset.
Any ideas, I cant believe this is causing me problems?

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ChrisAngus said:
having problems, I was using a netgear dsl384g but it keeps dropping it's connection so i went and bought a d-link dsl300t and airport express station. when i connect modem to imac by ethernet it works fine but if i connect the modem to airport express i get nothing.
if i reset the d-link modem i can then get into the modem settings but so as apply the changes thats it, no internet and i cant get back into the modem without a reset.
Any ideas, I cant believe this is causing me problems?

Chris

This might be a silly question, but does your iMac have an AirPort Extreme card installed in it?

If you do, then you might find this link helpful:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q4/dlink-dsl300t.asp
Simply connect the Ethernet port of the modem to the Internet port of the router, and ensure that the router is configured to get its Internet IP address via DHCP.

Initially when you first connect the modem to the router, it will hand the router an IP address in the range 192.168.1.x. This means you need to ensure your router does not become confused by using the 192.168.1.x range for its LAN interface. If it does you should change the LAN IP range of the router for example to 192.168.0.x.

The actual configuration of the DSL-300T, can take place from a computer connected to the router, simply by opening the web page http://192.168.1.1/ and setting the modem up as shown above. Then once the modem is configured and has authenticated with the ISP the Internet IP address on the router should become the one your ISP has assigned you. Some routers may need you to manually trigger the renewal of the IP address on the Internet interface, either via their web configuration or switching the unit off and on again.Simply connect the Ethernet port of the modem to the Internet port of the router, and ensure that the router is configured to get its Internet IP address via DHCP.

Initially when you first connect the modem to the router, it will hand the router an IP address in the range 192.168.1.x. This means you need to ensure your router does not become confused by using the 192.168.1.x range for its LAN interface. If it does you should change the LAN IP range of the router for example to 192.168.0.x.

The actual configuration of the DSL-300T, can take place from a computer connected to the router, simply by opening the web page http://192.168.1.1/ and setting the modem up as shown above. Then once the modem is configured and has authenticated with the ISP the Internet IP address on the router should become the one your ISP has assigned you. Some routers may need you to manually trigger the renewal of the IP address on the Internet interface, either via their web configuration or switching the unit off and on again.

OP
C

ChrisAngus

Hi, thanks for replying, yes the imac has an airport card and it connects to the airport station ok, its starting to give me headache now, if i plug the ethernet cable direct to the imac its fine but if i plug it back into the airport station i get nothing.
the airport station is setup for dhcp.

OP
C

ChrisAngus

Fixed

It was a problem with the firmare in the airport express, downgraded to 6.1.1 and its fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.