Alexa app

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac and have some general questions. I wanted to make a bunch of different threads since there are different topics, but decided to just make it this one (at least for now).

1. I rely a lot on the Alexa application that ranks a website. It doesn't seem to be available on Safari. So I downloaded Mozilla and tried to add it on there but then it says there is no application to open the Alexa download. It also seems as though Mozilla reverts back to Safari, so I am confused with how that functions. For example, I opened the internet with Mozilla but in the upper left next to the apple it says Safari. Any suggestions?

2. This is something I noticed right away and just wanted to see if others have noticed it. I like to make text really big when I am reading on the internet such as on a forum. When I make a window bigger with the iMac it seems to get slightly blurry the bigger I make the window. PC definitely does not do this. However, the speed and ease with which the Mac does it is remarkable. Any comments about this would be helpful, such as how I can make it less blurry if possible.

Thanks! I guess that's only two questions. But I have a bunch more for later when I think of them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't help you with Alexa other than to ask if it works as a plug in or extension for Firefox? That may be the reason it won't open.

As for making the text larger in any web page all you have to do is press the command key and + sign. Or, with Safari use zoom in zoom out which is the same thing.

How are you making the window bigger? It sounds like you're changing the resolution of the display if it gets blurry. Your display is designed to be optimal at its native resolution. Any variation from that will cause an out of focus or distorted picture.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply chscag. It appears that I had installed version 3.6 and the new version is Firefox 4. I downloaded that and now everything is working well. It's too bad that there is no Alexa add-on for Safari. I really like the Safari browser.

As for making the window bigger, I simply hold the command key (I changed it from control to command) and push my finger up on the mouse. It doesn't become blurry so it is unreadable, it's just not as clear as when I do it with a PC.

C

chas_m

As for making the window bigger, I simply hold the command key (I changed it from control to command) and push my finger up on the mouse. It doesn't become blurry so it is unreadable, it's just not as clear as when I do it with a PC.

What you are doing there is magnifying the entire screen, which is not really what you want to do. Command plus for larger and command minus for smaller will get you the result you are looking for. Safari also has (and I presume Firefox does too) a preference in the "View" menu that allows the command plus thing to scale up text ONLY rather than all the elements on a web page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.