• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Flickr Data Suggests Apple's Next Victim is the Point-and-Shoot

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
This isn't an Apple thing (although they are one of the dominant players), it's the nature of convergence. Progress is rarely victimless. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Maybe for those interested in snapshots...but an iPhone really doesn't have the ingredients necessary to produce decent photographs...IMO...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The best camera is the one you have with you...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe for those interested in snapshots...but an iPhone really doesn't have the ingredients necessary to produce decent photographs...IMO...

And that's exactly what the article states. Which is the whole point. Most folks buying a point and shoot are only looking to take "snapshots". My guess would be that most folks purchasing these type of cameras never bother looking at the manual much less figuring out how to use any of the advanced functions of the camera. They're looking to point and click and have a picture.

I would say most - are not looking for what some call 'photographs'. They're just looking for something that takes "pictures".

I'm still using the iPhone 3GS. Am in the construction industry and use it for taking job site photos all the time. It really does an extraordinary job for what I need. Even on my 3GS, I get close ups that I can zoom into good enough to show me the texture of surfaces. I'm still blown away how good these shots are when I get back to the office and load them up onto my computer.

No one seriously looking to take "photographs" is using a point and click camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
A quality point and shoot camera in full auto mode will always beat an iPhone in quality...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.