Parental Controls Block Netflix Streaming

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro which I set up profiles for each of my children on. I have used the parental controls option in the System Preferences with which I have been very happy with in its ability to restrict access to content. One place I do allow my children to go is to the Netflix site where they stream video from the instant watching section. I added the Netflix web URL to the allowed section and they can browse the Netflix site and add/remove movies from the queue but when they try streaming I get an error message:

Internet Connection Problem
Error Code: N8106-106

An Internet or home network connection problem is preventing playback.
Please check your internet connection and try again.

I can stream video from Netflix fine on my profile and when I shut off parental control on my childrens' profiles they can stream as well but I get this error every time I turn the parental control back on. Usually when my kids go to a restricted site or a site I have not pre approved Safari provides a message noting so. I don't get the standard "blocked" message from the browser, it appears to be a Netfilx error message but I have tracked it back to the parental controls.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
See if this gives you some help - link - (Apple's board is down right now, but should be back up soon).

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out how to fix the problem? I just upgraded my kids Mac last night from 10.4 to 10.6 and now they cant get netflix with the parental controls on either! Its frustrating! Help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Just a hunch, but it might require allowing Silverlight as an approved application, as that's the engine that Netflix uses to play videos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.