Dell U2711 black screen when connected to Mac via DisplayPort

Reaction score
I currently have a Dell U2711 27" monitor connected to my Mac Mini through DVI (it uses a DVI to mini-DVI adapter at the PC end). However, I cannot get the full resolution of the monitor 1920 x 1080 maximum is offered were the monitors maximum resolution is 2560 x 1440.
I did some Googling and seemed it required DisplayPort connection to achieve this. No dramas. I ordered a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.
I plugged this in and all I get on the Dell is a black screen. The monitor doesn't go into power save mode or anything like that, just displays nothing - an illuminated black screen.
I pulled out my MacBook and connected the cable to that, same deal. The Mac recognises that the cable has been connected (as the laptops LCD goes blue for a second or two while it detects the new monitor).
Any ideas?
I also had a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable here which was included with the monitor from Dell, which I will test aswell when my miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter arrived.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.