Ipad in place of MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I really want an Ipad 3g/Wi-fi.
I have a MacBook Pro that I bought last June.

Can I live without the MacBook?

This is what I use my MacBook for:

Internet Browsing
Sending/Receiving E-mail
Photo storage
Blogging
Some use of Pages & Numbers
Watching TV Shows & Movies (I live in Hong Kong and TV options are crap)

Could I live without the MacBook Pro and do all this on the Ipad??

Thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally I wouldn't give up my laptop. And if you got a MacBook Pro last June...I'm sure that's still a pretty darn nice computer. Why not just keep the MacBook Pro and get an iPad...and have the best of both.:)

One example why I wouldn't get rid of my other computers. I have a 17" MacBook Pro...and a 24" monitor on my Mac Pro desktop. There are just things you do on a computer that the screen real-estate on an iPad just can't do.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Do you have another computer? You have to have one in order to activate, update, and backup an iPad.

But overall no, the iPad is certainly not a MBP replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Things you will need your laptop for:
1. Effective media management and storage - even the 64gb iPad will run out of space, I know. Something has to store all that data somewhere and even if you dont use iTunes, it is a lot easier to do the management on a full PC.
2. iOS upgrades. No way around it. If you want to stay current with the iOS, you have to sync through iTunes for the upgrades. You dont have to sync any other data, but your backups and iOS upgrades only come through iTunes.
3. There are others, but these two would be a showstopper for getting rid of your MBP.

The iPad was NEVER billed as a Desktop or Laptop replacement. It was meant to augment your media and internet experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Here is a very good article on why Post-pc doesn't mean sans-pc
Why "post PC" doesn't mean "sans PC" | Computers | MacUser | Macworld

I am trying to run with the iPad as much as possible. It is quite possible to go most of the day without directly touching the MBP but there are just some things that are better on the MBP. As above - I need to do heavy office work, and for technical computing I go to the MBP.

The only thing on your list which may be a challenge is watching tv shows. There is Skyfire, iswifter, and cloud browse to watch flash but it isn't the greatest of experiences.

I also agree that 64G will go really fast especially if you are storing media.

Reaction score
Can you watch avi files on an iPad2?

I've got a ipad2 coming fairly soon and I was wondering if you can watch movies or shows in avi files on one? Or do I have to convert my files so I can view them in itunes?

And if I have to convert the files to watch them in itunes, what program do I go with? I was told about DVDFab and a few others, but haven't found a great one for mac's. Any advice?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I've got a ipad2 coming fairly soon and I was wondering if you can watch movies or shows in avi files on one? Or do I have to convert my files so I can view them in itunes?

Either of these iPad apps will allow you to watch avi movies on your iPad:

CineXPlayer ($3)
CineXPlayer ? The best way to enjoy your Xvid movies for iPad on the iTunes App Store

yxPlayer ($3)
yxplayer for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Or you can run your videos through this free program on your Mac first:

Avidemux (free)
http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

Reaction score
Guess what? I've iPhone, iPad 1 (wanted to get iPad 2 soon) and just got MacBook Pro few weeks ago... :) MBP is good to use at home, and iPad is good for on the go....

I really want an Ipad 3g/Wi-fi.
I have a MacBook Pro that I bought last June.

Can I live without the MacBook?

This is what I use my MacBook for:

Internet Browsing
Sending/Receiving E-mail
Photo storage
Blogging
Some use of Pages & Numbers
Watching TV Shows & Movies (I live in Hong Kong and TV options are crap)

Could I live without the MacBook Pro and do all this on the Ipad??

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
I have a mid 2010 MBP and I could not live without it. Yes, the I pad is a great companion, but by no means a laptop replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.