Which Ram should i choose? like poll

Reaction score
Hi guys ;D, im newbie when it comes to hardware.

I decided to upgrade the ram of my macbook pro (version 3.1 and 2.4 GHz and 2GB ram) to 4GB.

The options are limited.
In new egg there are 3 different products.
In OWC there are 5 different products. links are below.
which one should i choose? i have 100$ to spend on RAm.

thank you so much. im not decisive please help my friends ;P

a.) Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Model 976559A
b.) Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Notebook Model KTA-MB667K2/4GR
c.) Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Notebook Model KTA-MB667K2/4G

and
d, e, f, g, h and f options are under here:

Apple MacBook Pro Memory, Hard Drive upgrades, Installation Guides for 15" and 17" model Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz, 2.2GHz, 2.4GHz, 2.5GHz, and 2.6GHz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am a big fan of Crucial never had any issues with them.

Reaction score
Crucial gets my vote, too. I've used dozens of their modules over the years with excellent results, though I've used OWC and Kingston, too, with good results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
+1 for crucial

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
+1 for Crucial, but I just recently bought OWC-brand memory for my new MBP and haven't had any problems with it either.

OP
B
Reaction score
whats the difference between unbuffered and fully buffered RAM? i just looked up crucial site and those two had big price difference that it didnt make sense to me :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I always buy Crucial for my Macs, never had an issue.

Reaction score
I just used Crucial to upgrade my MBP and have been very satisfied with their service and product.
Bill

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
+1 for Crucial...I'd used OWC on my previous Mac Mini, but for my iMac I used Crucial 8GB to upgrade to 12GB..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've always gotten OWC RAM. Their service and support is top notch.

Reaction score
Speed test - Just installed the new OWC 8gig and measured "windows 7 experience index" in a VM before and after. Before, with standard Apple RAM, I was getting a great score of 6.9.

Now, with the OWC RAM, it is measuring the maximum possible god-like score of 7.9. Yes, you heard that right - a 7.9 on memory while running in a VM with an i5 processor. The processor scored the same before and after at 6.9.

Crucial may do as well, but I haven't heard. Looking forward to getting the 16 gig OWC upgrade when their price comes down next year :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Mac Pro | 2011 15" MacBook Pro | 2009 13" MacBook Pro
+1

...just put 8GB of OWC in my 2011 15" MBP and its silently doing its thing, no issues at all.

Reaction score
Discovered what appears to be a problem with the OWC 8gig for the 2011early MBP 13". Maybe I just got a bad chip, maybe it's just my machine - whatever it is, I am very impressed with the OWC customer service. They seem to know their stuff and aim to please, so I have no doubt whatever it is will be worked out to my satisfaction.

Here is what I noticed so that you can check yours if you have the same setup as I. First, it is good to know that when a 27" Cinema display is attached to the thunderbolt port, there are too many pixels for the on-chip Intel 3000 video processor using only the processor's L3 cache. So, it starts using system RAM - the OWC memory...

Several hours after installing the new RAM, I noticed that dragging a window on the big display became sluggish. Several hours later, a few random pixels appeared in the upper left corner of the internal display. The next day, the big display went black while I was sitting there reading a web page on it. After trying several ways of unplugging and replugging the display, all of which made it stay black, I unplugged both display power and connectors for 4 hours. Only then was I greeted with a nice bright screen after plugging it back in.

Talking with the OWC rep, he suggested I swap the old 4gig memory back in. I did so, and no problems thus far. Will see what he says tomorrow, but I have a feeling these chips are going back to OWC.

If you do not have a big external display with a displayport, then you can't reproduce this test. And, I may have just gotten a bad chip in there somewhere anyway - no way to tell.

Reaction score
Thought I'd update this for others who are looking at OWC RAM.

Tech support suggested I put the 8 gig chips back in and run a memory test. He provided 2 such tests and some how-to guidance, so I felt obliged to try it. The tests passed with flying colors - overnight, and all day long ones too. Odd thing is - I am now getting reasonable numbers for the Win7 experience scores. No more miracle numbers like I had the first time.

If they continue to function normally, I would conclude that I did something wrong during installation. I did notice that doing it the 2nd time was easier, and I could have put the bottom memory in slightly crooked the first time simply due to inexperience.

So, if these run fine with my 27" external monitor, while Folding proteins at 4x100% CPU, while running Win2008 server full screen on a third 23" screen all week, I'll be very pleased with this OWC 8gig RAM upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I like Kingston RAM. Been using them to upgrade my Toshiba notebook from long ago. Just bought a set of 8GB Kingston for my MBP13. Flawless so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.