ipod 4th generation (photo)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
i just got and old ipod 4th generation from 2005 from my friend. and it worked well and then i went to restore it and it told me to plug it into a wall and I did and it still is displaying that even though it is plugged in. I am using itunes 10 on the 2010 macbook pro. i have also tried firewire and usb power to get it to install and it wont pick up on the computer. thanks for the help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sounds like the hard drive has stuck, mine does this very occasionally, actually, it was doing it a lot, but hasn't done for months come to think of it! I digress.
Try resetting the iPod>
1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

That should free it, or if not I found a light knock on the side got the drive spinning again. After that try the restore as you were doing originally.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried that about five times and then plugged it in like it says on the screen and left it over night and it still says plug in to a wall socket.
Photoon2011-04-18at0919.jpg
[/IMG]
Sounds like the hard drive has stuck, mine does this very occasionally, actually, it was doing it a lot, but hasn't done for months come to think of it! I digress.
Try resetting the iPod>
1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

That should free it, or if not I found a light knock on the side got the drive spinning again. After that try the restore as you were doing originally.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I fidgured it out what i was doing wrong is i was not restarting/reseting the ipod with it plugged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ah, so it's working now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
I thought a fourth gen iPod was an iPod touch???? Or there is an iPod Touch 4rth Gen and a iPod 4rth gen??

Was I wrong???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought a fourth gen iPod was an iPod touch???? Or there is an iPod Touch 4rth Gen and a iPod 4rth gen??

Was I wrong???

Yep. The are 5 generations of the original iPod, before they renamed them Classic, and about 4 nano's, 3 shuffles, and 4 touches.
Take a look at this Apple page.

Identifying iPod models

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.