Multiple users/accounts

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My wife and I have finally decided to pick up an iPad 2 in a week or so and will likely share it to do a number of things with it..

I already have an iPhone 4 that I use for a lot of things and my wife has my old iPhone 3G as an iPod Touch..no doubt my wife will want to use email and Facebook on the iPad and I suppose I could easily avoid doing the same..

But how are people who share a single iPad amongst multiple people keeping apps/accounts/configuration separate?

I did a coupe of quick google searches and came across some add-on apps that bring some idea of multiple accounts to the iPad which seem interesting..

I'm not as much interested in password locking the accounts but rather finding a way of not having to constantly log in and out of services when we exchange the iPad between us..

Thoughts welcome..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Unfortunately the iPad is a big iPod touch :) - actually it isn't but that being said it is set up for a single user. I have not found a great way of doing this. Generally I put a separate web browser for me - so my wife can use safari - and we don't have to log out of either. I like Atomic but there are others.
Atomic Web Browser - Browse FullScreen w/ Download Manager & Dropbox for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Mail contacts and calendar - I left to my wife and I did everything through the web interface.

I solved this by buying my own iPad 2. This has worked out the best.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Agree with Ivan. From my experience you just bought your wife an iPad2. Time to start thinking of what model you want to get for yourself.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Raz0rEdge and Razormac... are you guys brothers?

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree with Ivan. From my experience you just bought your wife an iPad2. Time to start thinking of what model you want to get for yourself.;)

Shhh...that's my underlying motive anyway..I just had to make a good show about wanting to share things with her but was totally intending on sabotaging the whole process so that she'd just tell me to get my own..;)

Totally..Mac Brothers that is..:)

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Well in that case - install everything and make sure she has to log into everything - so she gets tired of it.

Make sure you add your spam account to mail so she can see all the spam mail and be annoyed by that.

Lastly install as many things as possible so she gets confused about what programs are available.

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Ivan..that's awesome..though since we're technically looking at the iPad as a study aid for our MBA's..it makes sense for both of us to have our own as opposed to sharing a single one..she just doesn't know about it yet..;)

Regards

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Totally! :)

EDIT: I'm Darrel and this is my brother Darrel and that's my other brother Darrel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Email is easy - you can have more than one email account set up in Mail on iPad.

The way I handle music is create 2 Playlists in iTunes and named one my name and one my wife's name. I put whatever music I want in my playlist and she does the same with hers. You can tell iTunes to only sync those 2 playlists with your iPad. I choose from my playlist when playing music on the iPad.

You can create multiple calendars and address books on your Mac and sync those to your iPad, thus allowing you to choose only your calendar or your address book if you want.

Nothing you can do about apps. Unless, as mentioned, there are 3rd party apps that allow for that sort of thing. No idea. *shrug*

I have 2 or 3 web pages that I always keep open in Safari and the Mrs. knows not to "x" out of them. I also liked the suggestion of one of you use Safari and the other a different browser app such as Bing.

We don't use FaceBook or Twitter or any of those social networking things, so I can't comment on that.

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Email is easy - you can have more than one email account set up in Mail on iPad.

The way I handle music is create 2 Playlists in iTunes and named one my name and one my wife's name. I put whatever music I want in my playlist and she does the same with hers. You can tell iTunes to only sync those 2 playlists with your iPad. I choose from my playlist when playing music on the iPad.

You can create multiple calendars and address books on your Mac and sync those to your iPad, thus allowing you to choose only your calendar or your address book if you want.

Nothing you can do about apps. Unless, as mentioned, there are 3rd party apps that allow for that sort of thing. No idea. *shrug*

I have 2 or 3 web pages that I always keep open in Safari and the Mrs. knows not to "x" out of them. I also liked the suggestion of one of you use Safari and the other a different browser app such as Bing.

We don't use FaceBook or Twitter or any of those social networking things, so I can't comment on that.

My wife would mostly use it for Facebook, email and reading documents. We'd probably not use it for videos/music since we have other devices for that..

However, User Profiles for iPad: User Switching and Multiple Accounts for iOS | nowsci.com is an intriguing way of introducing user profiles to the iPad..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.