copy and paste problem and running slow

Reaction score
Something is slowing down my computer iMac G5 10.4.2
I ran disk utilities,that only came up with special permissions for a widget. Restarted Still running slow and when I try to copy and paste the highlighted areas are not de-highlighting and I get that "ping" sound trying to copy (command C) .any suggestions?

edit: btw I have plenty of memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What are you trying to copy and paste from?
If its something like a PDF then forget it, you can't do it from a PDF or some other protected/locked file format.

Define slow...is it a particular app or is it everything in general? And how much is "plenty of" RAM? Depending on the app you are running, it might not be enough. Lots of Adobe apps are huge memory hogs.

Still, try rebooting, Disk Repair, Reset PRAM...etc. You know the drill, hehe :black:

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I tried copying text, is all this is what's on this one(see attachment)Everything is changing over from one app to another really slow even the genie effect is funny It is moving so slow I can read a whole paragraph before it slides into dockl. I have never seen it so slow How do you reset pram?

memory.jpg

mem.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Reset PRAM by holding down CMD+Option+P+R while booting up until you here the chime three times.

I don't think it's a copy and paste thing though.

What about recent software installs or interface tweaking. Try downloading the 10.4.2 combo update from Apple and re-run it. Also try running repair permissions as root.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I CMD+Option+P+R while booting up but only heard 1 chime.... errrr! I did it twice and still only one chime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
iNAP said:
I CMD+Option+P+R while booting up but only heard 1 chime.... errrr! I did it twice and still only one chime
You are only supposed to hear it once.
If you are holding down the key combo BEFORE the gray screen appears, the computer should then restart and you will hear the startup gong once.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad,..

You should wait until you hear one chime three times. One chime should do it, but many say that three is the magic number.

Do your own google search on Reset Pram to come to your own conclusion.

Needless to say in the days of OS X the PRAM reset is not as big of a thing as it was in OS 9.

BTW,.. Hows the real issue?

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
"Hows the real issue?" If you mean the being slow issue and C&P it is still happening........I keep getting "the spinning ball" it is getting frustrating! I can not find a problem. I'm to the point I may do a reinstall of tiger...dunno

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open activity monitor to see what your cpu and ram utilizations are. See if you've got a locked thread or something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.