Apple Repairs to iMac G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
So finally it has been decided that my iMac G5 (Rev A) has to go back to Apple to repair this dreaded fan noise.

Has anybody else had this done?
Did Apple fix the problem?
How long did it take?

As this is my only machine now (stupidly I sold my G3 Bondi Blue) it looks as if I may have to buy an iBook so I can at least carry on working.
I have seen one secondhand 12", 400Mhz, 368RAM, 20GB HD, £400 is this a good deal?
I have also seen one new 12" 256RAM, 30GB HD, £600 what do you think guys / gals?

Thanks in advance for any help
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
pphking said:
So finally it has been decided that my iMac G5 (Rev A) has to go back to Apple to repair this dreaded fan noise.

Has anybody else had this done?
Did Apple fix the problem?
How long did it take?
Apple is very good with repairs. If something is indeed wrong with it, they will fix it and get it back to you as soon as they can.
As this is my only machine now (stupidly I sold my G3 Bondi Blue) it looks as if I may have to buy an iBook so I can at least carry on working.
I have seen one secondhand 12", 400Mhz, 368RAM, 20GB HD, £400 is this a good deal?
I have also seen one new 12" 256RAM, 30GB HD, £600 what do you think guys / gals?

Thanks in advance for any help
Paul
The first one I would avoid. There was no 400Mhz iBook. There was a 366Mhz and a 466Mhz, but no 400. Plus, it is awfully pricey for something less than 1Ghz. Heck it is even pricey for something less than 500Mhz. (that is about $665 US for those wondering)
If you are going to spend the money, I would go for the new one. Still, it might not be that long that you are without a computer, so buying a new one just for the time you are without might be a bit extreme.

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Thanks for the info Devilboy.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Wow, with all these threads regarding minor troubleshooting, I think I will buy my imac G5 straight from the apple website. That way IF I shold have a problem I can deal directly with apple. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
evolve said:
Wow, with all these threads regarding minor troubleshooting, I think I will buy my imac G5 straight from the apple website. That way IF I shold have a problem I can deal directly with apple. :black:
Bingo!
Of course, you can deal directly with Apple no matter where you get it from, since they are the ones providing the warranty anyway. I never really saw an advantage to dealing with a reseller, other than some "freebies" that might come with the purchase (free printer, free RAM upgrade, free scanner...etc).
Still, Apple does this from time to time themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
That's cool. I was wondering though, are these small troubles more common on the old imac G5's (like when they first came out)? or is it found in a majority of just random macs?

P.S. I hope you get your mac back soon pphking. I know how hard it can be without any other type of computer use in the house.

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Thanks Evolve.

I have heard that it's only some of the Rev A iMac G5 models that have this problem (I must have a bad one) anyway it's gone back to Apple today via the retailer I bought it from.
I had to buy an iBook to be able to carry on working (have to pay the bills you know) the old plastic is feeling the pinch, but hey you only live once.

Hopefully Apple will cure the iMac problem and it will come back soon.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It is the Rev A that are having problems. I had an issue after 8 months of no problems, apple fixed it within 4 or 5 days I think

S

sursuciofla

trpnmonkey41 said:
It is the Rev A that are having problems. I had an issue after 8 months of no problems, apple fixed it within 4 or 5 days I think

Nice to know it's only the older ones because I am thinking of getting me an iMac.

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
So I took my iMac G5 to the retailers where I bought it on the 5th Sept.

I have still not heard anything from them so today I rang. They had it a whole week before they sent it to Apple!!!
So it's anybody's guess when it will be sent back to me by them.
As you can imagine it's a situation I'm not very happy with to say the least!
When I explained to them on the phone that I need it for work and was not happy with the service from them they just said basically that it was tough and that was that.

It's just lucky that I bought the iBook otherwise i would be really stuck.

Paul
(Not a very happy chap at the moment)

Y

Yeungster

From doing a brief search on google for discussions on this recall from owners, I have gathered together some worrying information. One thread described the power fault as being due to a faulty batch of capacitors (marked by an x on top), which unfortunately ALL mine are, but still no problems?

Another thread described that Apple have a long waiting list for the midplanes, which is why the replacements/repairs are taking so long to complete. TBH, from what I can gather, not even apple really know when they will arrive.

I'm gonna have to lump it, and send mine in to be looked at, and see what happens from there

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
So I finally have a resolution to my iMac tale of woe.

It all started on 5th September with a noisy fan. So back it went to Apple . Well nearly 6 weeks later it's sorted out.
It has taken a lot of phone calls & emails but finally the retailer where I bought it agreed that the problem was taking too long to resolve and they agreed to give me a new machine.

I am happy because I got a Rev B iMac G5 17" SD 1.5GB RAM, 160GB, with BT & AE card installed.
My machine before was a Rev A 17" iMac G5 SD. So this is a great resolution for me.

It's been a stressful time, but eventually it was worth the wait.
Just thought I would let you all know the outcome.

Kingley

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I know some of you will say "But it's not a Rev C"
But it's a free upgrade and that's good enough for me.

Paul

Reaction score
pphking said:
I know some of you will say "But it's not a Rev C"
But it's a free upgrade and that's good enough for me.

Paul

sell it and buy the Rev. C. Ooh yeah... giggity giggity.

Y

Yeungster

Can you describe this fan noise?

My imac has gone back to the retailer a couple of days ago, as I wasn't happy with te video quality.

When the technician was examining it, he rang and asked was it the lighter pressure spots I sent the imac in for? I was like oh...are they there? Well that wasn't the reason why I sent it in.

Now I wonder if they'll fix the pressure spot issue now lol doubt it!

Just have to wait to see the outcome

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
It sounded like a hair dryer all the time.

Hope this helps
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.