Infinitly shaking password screen, suspicious login activity

Reaction score
I think I may have unwittingly acquired a virus.

It all started when I clicked on an image to view it on a larger screen (a safe image, mind you). When I tried to close it, it multiplied by two. When I clicked on another tab, it wouldn't let me open it and then it multiplied again.

I force quit firefox, but then I began to hear a continuous "flipping" sound, as if someone was rapping on my computer from the inside.

I disconnected all drives, but it continued.

I reset my computer (via apple-reset). Not only did the flipping sound continue, but my login screen shook continuously; as if I was mashing the keyboard and pressing enter as fast as I could.

On top of all this, I saw the screen show my password hint, and then my master password hint.

Does anyone know what's going on??

snow leopard 10.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You don't have a virus. There ARE no viruses for OS X. Just a handful of trojans that can only be acquired by pirating software.

Now then, where were we… oh yes...

Unplug your keyboard and mouse. if the problem stops, then it's simply a stuck key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.