• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple revamps/rebrands discussion forums as Apple Support Communities

Reaction score
Apple revamps/rebrands discussion forums as Apple Support Communities

apple-support-communities.jpg

Throughout the day we've had a number of readers contact us to say the Apple Discussion Forums were down. Now we know why. Apple has just launched Apple Support Communities, a revamped discussion forum with the focus on allowing Mac and iOS users to find answers to their questions quickly and easily.

Don't worry, if you've started any or replied to any topics in the past, all your old posts are still there. What the Apple Support Communities redesign does is add nifty little features, like an easier-to-browse forum, the ability to "like" any post, and even the ability to upload images so you can show everyone just what it is you are talking about ("See! I get two beach balls, not one!"). Head on over to the support communities and check them out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, you can check out a walk-through of all the new features here.

Apple revamps/rebrands discussion forums as Apple Support Communities originally appeared on TUAW on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I saw the notice earlier that it was down. Now that it is back up again I have been poking around a bit. FWIW here are a few impressions after spending about a half an hour poking around.

!. I like the ability to customize the page layout. When I have visited the discussion forums in the past most of my searches were related to Automator, iPad and iPhone, and some Applescript. Now I can get to these areas much more quickly once I set up the home page.

2. The Your stuff link at the top of the page is potentially useful. Not only is it a quick way to reach some preferences that were scattered previously but it thoughtfully provides a quick link to communities you have joined.

3. Most importantly for me it seems that the search function is vastly improved. Until relatively recently I didn't visit that forum much and the search function was a lot of the problem. It seemed that no matter how many variants of Boolean searches I tried there were always results that had absolutely nothing to do with what I was looking for. If I asked for "Automator" for example, I also got references to things such as the "automation" functions in Logic Pro. After just a few searches this seems much improved even without the use of Boolean terms

I am still getting used to setting up some of the page customization options. Setting up certain types of widgets seems to be a bit less than intuitive but overall this seems like a big improvement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.