AOL Instant Messenger File Transfer

D

dealinhoz

I have my XP pc wired to my netgear WGR614 router. and a wireless G4 laptop. i am able to send files from my mac -> pc via aol instant messenger. but i CANNOT go vice versa.

both computers ARE NOT using firewalls.
i've talked to the netgear people and we've confirmed that both computers have successfully pinged each other.

can anyone help me with this? i'm going up the wall b/c of this. thank you. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Do you know any one else with a mac that you can try to send a file to via AIM.

I assume you are using iChat and not AIM for mac. But if you're not than try iChat if you have it.

Is there a reason that you are not file sharing? Are you really using AIM to just send files? There are plenty of ways to achieve file transfer but AIM is usually a last resort. Even FTP is easier.

OP
D

dealinhoz

i am really oblivious to file transfering. and regular aim works fine for me.

I had to check "Disable SPI Firewall" on my router settings...everything works fine NOW except for the speed.

using the regular AOL instant messenger, sending from mac (wireless) to pc (wired)... the speed is atleast 500 kb/s. from pc to mac it's only 100 kb/s. any reason why???

and if i do use FTP... what program can i use? for the pc, i used to use CuteFTP. thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.