File transfers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Srping '11 MBP, 4GB RAM 500GBHD i7
I have about 4 years of files, docs, music, and videos on my mac mini. I just got a MBP 13" with i7 and I want to transfer info to my MBP. Is there a quick painless way to do it? Thanks in advance for any tips.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure how this relates to "Community Suggestions and Feedback", moving to more appropriate forum.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first time you boot your new machine, it will ask if you want to transfer files and settings from another Mac.

If you opt to do this, all you need is either a firewire cable or a network cable to bridge the two machines.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so i did the migration assistant and now i cant find where my files and info went to. any ideas?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya so i just found my info in a different account. i dont want my old account on my new Pro. i want my songs and photos and documents from my old account to my new account on the Pro. how do i combine them into one account with all info?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya so i just found my info in a different account. i dont want my old account on my new Pro. i want my songs and photos and documents from my old account to my new account on the Pro. how do i combine them into one account with all info?

Log into your new account, use the Finder to browse out to the old one. Go into each directory in the old account (documents, music, movies, etc.) and Command+A to select all, then simply drag and drop them into the respective folders in your new account. When you're all done, just remove the old account using the System Preferences => Accounts applet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
You'll have to change ownership of the old account first. Go to /Users/Accounts and right-click (or Control-click, or two-finger-click) your old account folder and Get Info. At the bottom of the Get Info window is the ownership pane. Unlock the window (click on the lock and enter your admin password), click the plus to add yourself as an owner of that directory with the ability to read & write. Then click the gear icon and apply to enclosed items. It'll take a few seconds for all the changes to occur, but then you should have full read/write permissions for the old account, and be able to copy files to your new account as described by cw107 above.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sweet ill try that. thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.