I have Viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
So, I ran Sophos Antivirus and apparently I have 7 viruses. One is Malware, and the other 6 are Trojan. It won't remove them. What do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What OS are you running ?
Can you share a print screen with us ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Neither Malware nor Trojans are viruses and there is no Mac OS X virus. Uninstall Sophos.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Neither Malware nor Trojans are viruses and there is no Mac OS X virus. Uninstall Sophos.

People use the term "virus" generically. And yes, there are a handful of trojans that exist for Mac OS X - and Sophos will detect them.

Can you share the names of the "viruses" that Sophos says you have?

Reaction score
Can you share the names of the "viruses" that Sophos says you have?

Also could you please share why Sophos reports that it can't remove the malware that it is reporting that you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here in order are what "viruses" I have:

Mal/JavaKP-N
Troj/JavaBz-0
Troj/JavaBz-0
Troj/JavaBz-N
Troj/JavaBz-N
Troj/JavaBz-N
Troj/JavaBz-N

It says I must manually remove them. I followed the instructions to set up a custom scan ect. but I can't get it to work correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
They will not impact your Mac, they are for Windows boxes only.

Trend Micro Threat Encyclopedia | Latest information on malware, spam, malicious URLs, vulnerabilities

TrendMicro said:
Malware type: Trojan

Aliases: No Alias Found

In the wild: Yes

Destructive: No

Language: English

Platform: Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Server 2003

Encrypted: No

Description:

This malware is a component of a malicious Java archive file (.JAR) that is hosted in a malicious Web site.

It requires other components in order to run properly.

They won't hurt your Mac.

Looks like you've been on some interesting sites...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they will not impact my mac, and are for windows only, how did they end up on my computer?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If they will not impact my mac, and are for windows only, how did they end up on my computer?

Primarily, downloading pirated software and/or other torrents, clicking on those "you need our video codec to watch this movie" links, and email.

And being as they are Windows only packages, merely locating the files and trashing them will eliminate them.

Unless of course, you are running Windows in a VM, in which case, Windows is infected and you really need to run the A/V from inside Windows.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never once downloaded anything that was not from a trusted site. I do not have any pirated software. I have also never seen a pop up requiring a video codec to watch something. I do receive emails (who doesn't?) and it's through yahoo. Maybe they missed something.I do not run windows on here. So how would I locate the files? I went through my finder and typed in the names and nothing came up. I also tried just dragging them from sophos and it wouldn't work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As jar files, they could have been downloaded from any infected web site that was allowed to run java on your machine. Java files are located at: /System/Library/Java/. They are probably hidden inside some .jar file. Which ones - ???? If Sophos won't provide you with the location of the files, personally, I'd forget them and move on. Don't know enough about java and/or what should be on your machine to provide any advice.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was only one java file. It was called javaconfig.doc So I opened it. Nothing came up. So I threw it in the trash. And deleted it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Looks like you've been on some interesting sites...

I think I already answered that. Your computer has been to some sites where they were picked up and downloaded along with whatever was being downloaded. No big deal.

I have never once downloaded anything that was not from a trusted site. I do not have any pirated software. I have also never seen a pop up requiring a video codec to watch something. I do receive emails (who doesn't?) and it's through yahoo. Maybe they missed something.I do not run windows on here. So how would I locate the files? I went through my finder and typed in the names and nothing came up. I also tried just dragging them from sophos and it wouldn't work.

Don't worry, this isn't a "black mark" against you or anything and no one is likely to think less of you. No one is accusing you so there is no need to get defensive. It can happen to anyone and IMO there is nothing wrong with utilizing the web to it's fullest at times. My advice would be to simply be happy they don't hurt your Mac, get rid of them if you can (if only so you don't pass them on to Windows users) and move on with your on-line life. No harm, no foul.

Reaction score

The most common way to acquire Windows viruses on a Macintosh is as file attachments to incoming e-mail. They might simply have come attached to malicious spam, or they may have been sent out by a Windows virus that propagates itself by infecting a Windows computer and mailing itself out from there. (It which case the viruses uses the address book on the infected Windows computer.) So they may have even have shown up apparently having been sent by a friend of yours who uses Windows.

Look in the Attachments folder for your e-mail program and see if the Trojans Sophos located on your Mac are residing there. If you are using Mail as your e-mail program, you can find your Attachments folder at:

[hard drive icon]/Users/[your user name]/Library/Mail Downloads/

If you can't recognize the Trojan Horse files by name (which is likely), it might help to use a different anti-virus program. This one is free:

ClamXav (free)
ClamXav

You can use ClamXav to scan just your Mail Downloads folder, or your entire user folder, or your entire hard drive; whatever you prefer. ClamXav will allow you to delete a Trojan Horse with just a click.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I already answered that. Your computer has been to some sites where they were picked up and downloaded along with whatever was being downloaded. No big deal.

Don't worry, this isn't a "black mark" against you or anything and no one is likely to think less of you. No one is accusing you so there is no need to get defensive. It can happen to anyone and IMO there is nothing wrong with utilizing the web to it's fullest at times. My advice would be to simply be happy they don't hurt your Mac, get rid of them if you can (if only so you don't pass them on to Windows users) and move on with your on-line life. No harm, no foul.

I was merely ruling out, not getting defensive. It's hard to tell online when you can't hear someone's voice or see facial expressions.

Thanks for the help randy, I'm going to do that right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
As soon as I saw the word "Sophos" the penny dropped!

Firstly, as has already been said, Viruses do not exist on a Mac. There are reputedly a few Trojans but they are harmless because they have to be "installed" by the user. Sophos sell and promote their so-called security software and make a point of scaring the uninitiated to install it. As far as I and many others is concerned, Sophos is as good as a virus!

Therefore, as has been suggested, delete the Sophos App and carry on enjoying your Mac! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like John T I was being serious and thanks for the negative feedback.

Get rid of Sophos and if you feel you must have AV software, download ClamXav which is freeware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.