Pros and Cons of upgrading 27" iMac (2010) to SSD HD

Reaction score
Recently I have been considering putting an SSD harddrive from OWC in my iMac 27" i3 (2010) 1 TB HD. I am not a huge computer guy (I would say my knowledge is above average, but is not even close to expert). I am just looking for some guidance as to what exactly putting an SSD in would bring to my iMac.

If I do decide that an SSD is a route I would like to take I would be replacing my superdrive with the SSD as I barely use the thing. I also know that OWC can provide a nice external case where my Superdrive can go.

On top of the pros and cons, can anyone explain exactly how to provide the most efficient system with an SSD, would I only put stuff on the SSD that pertains to the OS? and everything else on my HD? Also, I am looking at the 115 GB SSD, would that be sufficient?

I am pretty much just looking for as much information on the SSD drives as I can get from users who are using them. I know a quick google search would help, but I am looking for more of a "hands on" interpretation which is why I am asking here.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
The way I am going to do it when I have the cash, is the same as my dad's setup. I have used it and it works exceedingly well. He has the OS and all applications on the SSD improving boot time and app opening and operation times 5 fold. Everything else is on the regular HDD including his music photos and movies. He has a 128GB SSD and has only used around 45% of it so far.

Hope this helps.
It's about as much information as I can give you that I know about it until I do it myself.

- Simon

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Buzzard.

It is good to know that his SSD is only 45% full, I would say I do not have a large amount of applications; but I do have a few extras.

This just came to my mind, would installing an SSD void Applecare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
well this i'm not too sure about, usually the replacement of HDD and RAM are defined as "User Replaceable" which would mean that the warranty would stay intact. But you are going about it by replacing the superdrive with the SSD so i'm not sure how it would work in this regard. However just found this thread on Mac-Forums that discuss the void or no-void as it may be of Applecare using this method.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the thread! If only I could rep you twice haha

edit: there is tons of valuable information in the link you posted Buzzard, thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries at all, just glad to help :)

p.s. thanks for the rep ;)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.