What to buy

Reaction score
My first computer was an AppleIIe the to the first Macintosh. Since then I have been with pcs. I now have iPhone and iPad. I love them.

I'm tired of fighting viruses, slowing computers, windows , etc.

I want a Mac to replace the pcdesk top. Here's is me dilemma. Do I wait for the new iMacs or buy a Mac mini and hook it to a big monitor? I don't do gaming at all. I use the basic stuff spreadsheets, PowerPoint, word processing, indesign, and a little bit of photo work with pics of grandchildren.

My wife does news fashio etc on Internet? Any advice? I know a new i7 iMac would be quick but I've seen Mac minis do amazing things too.

Thanks for any input.

Mhogard

Reaction score
A lot of my friends have disagreed with me on this, but I am a 'less is more' kind of person. For the average, non-gaming, non-professional video editing person, I think the Mini is a GREAT platform, especially with the newer model's HDMI output. I'm still using a couple of iMacs simply b/c they haven't quit on me yet, but I don't see ever going back to an iMac.

The Mini has plenty enough power to carry the average user for years. Though I'm not a gamer, I would think it has plenty of power for most games. The fact that it is not tethered to a monitor is a benefit in two ways: First, if the monitor goes bad, it doesn't impact the use of the Mini. Secondly, monitors are constantly being upgraded, so if what you have now isn't what you want a year or two from now, simply buy another monitor that suits you better.

Also (and this has quickly become one of my FAVORITE things about my mini), if you travel much (vacations and the like), it is so absolutely easy to pack up your mini, throw it in a box/bag and take it with you along with the power cord and an HDMI cable and hook it up to virtually any newer television/monitor at your destination.

I have a 2010 Mini that I use as a HTPC. The last two vacations, I simply packed it up and took it to the hotel, plugged it into my TV and VOILA! I've got a computer for the family to surf on (without having to lend out my MBP to everyone!), and we have all of our movies, itunes, etc., ready to go from the start.

As long as I've got the option, I don't think I'll ever give up my mini.
icon_smile_love.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Mini's are good if your not gaming. But, I would consider the base MacBook also. For about the same amount of money that a mini, monitor and keyboard would run, you could get a MacBook or even the entry level iMac. The MacBook will provide portability if that is a consideration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.