PB slower after added memory??

Reaction score
Is it possible that my powerbook (12" 1.5Ghz, SD, 80Gb) and now 768mb of memory is slower than when it was during 512mb of memory?
I added an additional 512 stick to increase it to 768mb - The ram is pc2700 sodimm 333MHz, cl2.5 its from Kingston (from what i was aware, a fairly respected memory company) - and now i have a feeling that it is taking longer to load apps then it did previously. OS X recognizes that i have 768mb installed, but for example when i minimize a window it freezes on the screen for a second or two while minimizing, i never had this problem when i had 512. Is it a possility that there is something wrong with the ram, and is there anything that i can do to fix it? If you could help me out I would be very greatful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
If the RAM is showing up in your activity monitor, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. I have heard that adding memory can slow down a powerbook, in which case your only option would be to ebay the memory upgrade. Why did you add memory? Was it to increase performance or run a certain application, or just to have more memory?

You might try playing with the energy saver settings and/or anything else useful in your system prefs. Repair permissions while you're at it. It could be that a setting worked well with less memory, but needs changing when you add more. You could also try reseating the memory.

P.S. You said you went from 512 MB to 768 by adding a 512 soDIMM? I'm not really clear on that, cuz 512 + 512 = 1024. If you have two 512s in there and it's only coming up as 768, then that's a problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, why did you add the memory? Were/are you using a memory intensive app? If not, try using the PowerBook without it and see if the performance improves. If it does, then it could be a bad stick of memory possibly. If there is no change, I would suggest the usual battery of troubleshooting steps:
Reset PRAM
Run Disk Repair
Repair Permissions

But in the end, if you really weren't using the entire 512 MB you had, there really was no need to add more RAM.
sevenhelmet said:
P.S. You said you went from 512 MB to 768 by adding a 512 soDIMM? I'm not really clear on that, cuz 512 + 512 = 1024. If you have two 512s in there and it's only coming up as 768, then that's a problem!
The 12" PowerBook only has one expansion slot. It also only has 256MB internal RAM. He took out his extra 256MB stick and put in a 512MB stick to make the total RAM 768MB.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
OK gotcha... that's what I get for replying to a post about a computer I don't have!

;-)

OP
V
Reaction score
Thank you for your posts! It is indicating that there is 768mb of memory on my powerbook. At the moment It looks like there is no problem. I believe what happened is that i had 2 apps running which were not responding and therefore draining a lot of the resoursec from the memory - it did not occure to me at the time. Now it seems to be running without a problem :) Thanks for the advice guys and have a great day!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.