MacBook Pro Battery life

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a beginner Mac user and currently just purchased a Macbook Pro 2011, along with that I have read a few tips on how to preserve the battery life with calibrating it. But at the same time I am very curious about after calibrating once a month or even a week, do I leave my charger plugged into the Macbook Pro at all times or only plug it in when it is in low-battery?

In simplified terms, what do I do with the charger when I am using my MacBook Pro daily? and want to keep my battery life in good condition.

Thank you for reading, please help.

- Steven

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will find this same question countless times by doing a search of not only this forum, but likely every Mac forum you can find on the web with answers that vary from one extreme to the other. My advice, don't worry about the battery.

Just read and be aware of Apple's recommended guidelines. There is no need to make wholesale changes to the way you need/want to use "your" computer. You will find those that have used both extremes with success in having long battery lives. You will also find those at both extremes that did not have success.

It's your computer. Use it the way you want to use it. Whatever method you use with Apple's info in mind, you're not likely going to affect your average cost of the battery by $1 a month.

Reaction score
I agree with bob. I have done both methods with no obvious difference in either method. The battery is a solid performer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.