Exposé Problems

R

Rosaget

After having installed the shareware app Cocktail and tweaked some things it seems to have messed up the exposé on my powerbook. I have restored all the features to the default os x settings in Cocktail (aswell as unistalling Cocktail) so things should be back to normal but since my experimentation the application specific exposé seems to work except for darkening out the underlying windows. Currently it only darkens the desktop but leaves the underlying windows at their normal state of brightness. The other problem I noticed is that the when returning from exposé the window I'm in has it's drop shadow a little screwy looking; it doesn't appear in the areas where the windows is on top of another. The interesting thing I have found it that going from hitting F9 to F10 seems to get this the application specific exposé feature to work as it should. So my question is how I can truely restore exposé to function as it should by simply hitting F10. Reinstalling OS X is my first thought of coarse but I'd llike to avoid that if possible. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
try this in terminal,..

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.ks.cocktail.plist

then reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Rosaget said:
.... Reinstalling OS X is my first thought of coarse but I'd llike to avoid that if possible. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated, thanks.
There should be no need to resinstall the OS for something like this (this isn't Windows, you know ;) )
As was suggested, take a look in Library>Preferences to see if there are any Cocktail files or prefs left behind, and if there are just trash them.
After you have done that, try these steps..in this order:

1. Reboot the machine
2. Run a Disk Repair from your CD
3. Repair permissions
3. Reset PRAM

Those are the 4 "magic" troubleshooting steps no Mac user should be without :black:.
If you are still having problems after that, let us know.

OP
R

Rosaget

thanks a lot but I seemed to find the problem unfortunately after reinstalling the os. It luckly didn't cause any problems but took a little long. Apparently it was a problem in one of the apple user prefs. Deleting one of them fixed the problem. I wish I had figured this out earlier though. The problem I guess wasn't system wide only within only that user account. Problem fixed! thanks for the help though.

OP
T

teacher24_70

having Similar problem with Expose

I am having a similar problem with Expose--the windows behind are staying bright and not darkening. I recently had a hard drive crash and they replaced it, but saved my documents. I did have Cocktail installed before the crash, but don't remember every using it because I used Yasu instead. I did a search and trashed the one Cocktail plist file that I found. I restarted and ran Yasu to repair permissions. The problem still isn't solved--I'm not even sure that my problem is related to Cocktail since I don't remember ever using it.

What do I need to do to reset PRAM? What exactly does that do? Does it change settings? What are the repercussions/side-effects that may happen when I reset PRAM?

Any other ideas on what may be causing this strange Expose issue?

By the way, I'm using OS 10.3.9 on a G4 12-inch Powerbook.

Rosaget said:
After having installed the shareware app Cocktail and tweaked some things it seems to have messed up the exposé on my powerbook. I have restored all the features to the default os x settings in Cocktail (aswell as unistalling Cocktail) so things should be back to normal but since my experimentation the application specific exposé seems to work except for darkening out the underlying windows. Currently it only darkens the desktop but leaves the underlying windows at their normal state of brightness. The other problem I noticed is that the when returning from exposé the window I'm in has it's drop shadow a little screwy looking; it doesn't appear in the areas where the windows is on top of another. The interesting thing I have found it that going from hitting F9 to F10 seems to get this the application specific exposé feature to work as it should. So my question is how I can truely restore exposé to function as it should by simply hitting F10. Reinstalling OS X is my first thought of coarse but I'd llike to avoid that if possible. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated, thanks.

OP
T

teacher24_70

I posted this about a week ago and still no suggestions. Has anyone else seen this happen before? What are the possible reasons and/or solutions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.