Should I leave ipad on charge all the time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hi,

This question I have would equally apply to the iphone and ipods I would think. But there is no general topic for hardware. So I put it here.

If I was to get an iOS device it's mostly be used at home. And at home should I use it plugged into the power all the time? or should I just it off the power and just plug it in to charge it?

I've read a little on these batteries. I'm just not sure how the iOS devices charge themselves when on power all the time. I have had a few people also ask me this question. And I just people looking after the battery the best way.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
When I first got my iPad - based on this Apple - Batteries - iPad I tried to be conscientious about doing a full discharge once a month. What that eventually evolved into - is me using the iPad for 2-3 days before putting it back on the charger - normally it's down to anywhere between 5%-23% when I do that. I've had mine for over a year and really haven't noticed any degradation in battery performance. That's not to say there isn't any - but its not noticeable to me yet. It's actually quite impressive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I wouldn't worry about. Batteries are far more advanced today so the whole "should I charge it" or "should I leave it plugged in" stuff is almost completely irrelevant any longer for almost all of Apple's hardware.

I mean it might make a minuscule difference in battery life, but not enough that anyone other than a complete neurotic would care about or even notice. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
???

Don't really think it's a question the iPad buying public is asking. The primary point of a handheld device is having one that can be used unencumbered for long periods of time.

Personally, I couldn't conscientiously recommend the iPad to someone asking this question. If someone is looking for a device that's going to be sitting next to a power outlet most of the time, a computer is what they're looking for.

Bottomline: The battery technology is the same as that being used in their notebooks and the answer is no different.

Agree with schweb 100%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I don't know about that Bob. I do have my iPad plugged in whenever I am at my desk. Unlike my computer the iPad is really good for drawing apps. Anything with a touch interface. The real power of it comes from being able to interact with objects on a touch screen. Also the note taking interface is much better - which is just another touch type interface. I guess I am arguing that anything that is better for pad/paper is a better experience on the iPad.

Plus on top of that I have display pad - so my iPad becomes a 3rd screen while plugged into a power supply while at my desk.

But I guess you and schweb's point is don't worry about the battery. I was just arguing that the iPad, even plugged in, is a lot more than a big iPod touch.

Sorry for the rant I've been hearing and reading the big iPod touch thing quite a bit, especially with the playbook launch.

Anyway - we've had an iPad 1 since October and need to charge it nightly. This is because of heavy movie watching by my kids. If it is only parental use with web surfing it easily lasts 2 days. I am with everyone else in this thread - use it on battery - it lasts forever anyway.

Besides there is always replacement service.
Dead iPad battery? Never mind replacing it, Apple just sends another iPad for $99 -- Engadget

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Fair point. If I ever used mine sitting at a desk, I'd probably have it plugged in also. If for nothing else, to make sure I had plenty of juice when I left the desk.

You're right, my main point was not to be all that concerned about these batteries any longer.

(And, I would be asking any of my friends a lot more questions about their intended use before saying go for it or not rather than based off this single question.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I use mine pretty much until the battery warning comes on at 5%. The only time I will fully recharge it before then is if I know I will be heading out for a day with no way or time to recharge it while I am out. I have had mine since last September, and I have not noticed any decrease in batter performance at all.

I really think the batteries need less care anymore. At least in the higher end gadgets.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The charging circuitry on most new devices are smart enough not to continually charge a battery that is fully charged. However, leaving the device plugged in all the time and then unplugging it for short durations to discharge and putting it back to charge will end up causing the battery to not retain a charge over a period of time.

The best thing to do is to charge the device fully and then use it on the battery charge until you're warned about the 20% or 10% battery life left at which point you can plug it back in to recharge..

I deal with a lot of battery operated handheld/embedded devices at work, so we see this all the time..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4th gen 32gb; iPad 2 32gb wifi
I don't agree

I have done much research on this topic, I am new to the whole apple line of products, I have owned an iPod 4th gen for about a year, and bought my first iPad 2 wifi last November. I am beginning to understand what all the hipe is about regarding apple products. I barely use my custom built desktop PC.

Anyway, since the purchase of my iPad, I have been reading the Mac forum, apple support, and watch the podcast of iPad Today with Leo LaPorte. Not sure exactly which episode it was, but Leo went into great detail about the iPad batteries. He stated the the technology of the batteries is so great that you CAN NOT overcharge, or over heat these batteries.

iPad Today 90 | TWiT.TV

I hope this helps. Also, being new, I hope I didn't step on any feet, just wanted to voice my opinion.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It is true that battery designs in most consumer devices prevent overcharging. This is done through configuration of a taper value that allows the charger to know when the battery is fully charged and that is no longer a problem.

The issue however is that if a system with a battery is used with power always plugged in, the battery doesn't get a chance to go through the normal discharge/charge cycle that it would go through and in a short enough time is actually unable to retain a charge off the wire..

All batteries have a number of cycles through which they will return to near 100% of charge, but after that number is exceeded, they will only retain up to 80% of charge and begin to dwindle down from there..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4th gen 32gb; iPad 2 32gb wifi
Thank you

Thank you for the valuable information. Being new to apple products, and in short any iOS devices, I have a lot to learn. I dont usually reply to any posts as I feel I am under qualified to do so, but rather read through and try to learn as much as I can.

I decided to post to this thread because I had just finished watching the episode of iPad Today. My bad...:Blushing:

Reaction score
Those batteries are pretty advanced, leaving it charging all the time won't mess it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.