Adobe CS5 acting up, and more!

Reaction score
Alright, so I guess I'll start with the earlier problem: A few weeks ago, some applications (always different) would freeze. After force quitting the first frozen app, the issue seemed to have already spread to the desktop and Finder, but not the right side of the top toolbar (Spotlight, date/time, etc). Since I couldn't actually get to the Restart button, I would have to hard shut down. However, I tried a couple different things: 'sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions', the Apple Hardware Test, and Verifying/repairing disk permissions and the disk through the install DVD. Now, this issue seems to have disappeared (for the moment, at least).

Okay, now for the current issue: I recently installed Adobe CS5 Design Premium, and tested about half the applications to be sure they were all good. They checked out fine then. I even used Photoshop earlier today. Now, for Flash, Illustrator, and Photoshop (so far), they will open in a decent amount of time, but will freeze whenever I try to open a file. I also found that they freeze when looking through the filesystem in the File > Open window. So... this is possibly related to Adobe's permissions to see my files...? I have no idea, so maybe you good people could help :D
Oh yeah, and I've already held Option+Command+Shift when opening to reset to default settings.

MacBook Pro, SL 10.6.7, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Memory

Thanks in advance!

~Mike

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There may or may not be someone here familiar with Adobe CS5 issues. Check back here as we do have a lot of CS users around. You may also want to try the Adobe forums.

OP
M
Reaction score
Alright, I might have to do that.

Actually, there was a major problem I forgot to mention: Since the earlier issues started happening, my computer has hung at the blue screen with the spinning wheel after hitting Shut Down or Restart. I once left it sitting for an hour, and it just hung on that screen until I hard shut down. This is the only issue that has consistently happened since my random freezing problem. It only seems to happen after I've had one of the aforementioned problems before shutting down.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you haven't backed up your data, I'd be doing so asap.

OP
M
Reaction score
So, I restored to a slightly earlier backup and reinstalled CS5, and it was still freezing, so I downgraded Firefox 4 to 3.6.16. I haven't had any problems since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.