Roland TD4 drum set / MacBook recording help

Reaction score
So I have a MacBook and a Roland TD4 brain and I bought an M-Audio USB console an I'm having trouble getting the drums to come through to my Mac. I have no idea what software I would need to allow it to come through and play and the software that came with the M-Audio console is only demos (live lite 6) and some drivers to allow the USB to work. Please help me I have absolutely no idea on what to do where I can record what I play. Much appreciated.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
im unfamiliar with the TD4 but if you give me a picture of the back of the M Audio box, and of the back of the TD4, i can direct you with what you need to plug in and how to get this thing recording.

Basically, i need to see the inputs and outputs first.

OP
D
Reaction score
i know i have the plugs in properly its just all the software stuff im really lost about, i have a 1/4 inch jack plugged into the output of my TD4 and it goes into the input in the front of the M-Audio and i know that works because sound plays out of the M-Audio through my headphones, now just the last problem is that the usb it plugged into my computer and i dont know what to do from here on out..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You need Audacity (free) or Audio Hijack Pro (£30) to record onto your Macbook.
You don't even need the M-Audio., You can record directly from line out jacks on the TD4 to your Mac, via a splitter cable with a mini jack. Using MIDI out is complex, and this may be why you are struggling. I haven't dabbled in MIDI enough to advise the correct route on how.
You could record to your Mac via the headphone out too btw.
If you really want to use MIDI, I'l look into it, but also, take a trip to the forum I have linked below. Tons of help there (I'm a long term member)

vdrums.com forum - Home

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could also use Garageband to do it, and its probably a little bit easier than Audacity and AHP (even though it is "da bomb" ;) ). Open up garageband, create a new audio track, and set the input source as whatever input it is in on your M Audio. then you should be getting a level through.

if you cant see your M Audio's inputs, look in the Garageband preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I hate Garageband :D
I should add actually, that if you use the left audio out jack on the TD4, you get mono recording, and to be hinest, it's better than messing with stereo, because sound levels are low in stereo. This is how I record from my TD10.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are you sure its not just the Left side in mono Kev? that would sound a bit dodgy... :p

I agree, Garageband is annoying. but it is a great ease into the way most DAWs work, and a bit simpler than Audacity or AHP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are you sure its not just the Left side in mono Kev? that would sound a bit dodgy... :p

I agree, Garageband is annoying. but it is a great ease into the way most DAWs work, and a bit simpler than Audacity or AHP.

Yes, and no it doesn't sound dodgy, the module outputs a stereo downmix through the mono port. Honestly it sounds better than the streo recordings I tried. I have some video footage with my mono recording mixed in, sounds great. On my facebook if your at all interested.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.