Self assigned ip address

Reaction score
I know that people have had this problem before however none of the fixes recommended seemed to work so I will post it here and hope for some answers. Last week my macbookpro suddenly began to ask me for my wireless password. Later that night, it turned itself off and on restarting it I found that the time had been erased, and that I was unable to connect to my wireless. The network info says self-assigned IP address, unable to connect. I have tried turning the firewall off (it was anyway), powering down the whole system, and some other suggestions I found online and so far no luck.
Can anyone help with this?
Thanks Holly

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
reset your router? what does it say in network prefs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It sounds more like there is an issue with the wifi router. Try unplugging from the wall out (Modem, then Router) waiting about a minute then plugging them back in; Modem (wait 20 secs) then Router (wait 20 secs) then reboot your Mac.

If you are still having issues, you will want to plug into the router and verify the settings and that it can get out.

OP
H
Reaction score
I tried doing that about 20 times. What I have is 1 router/modem combo. I also tried plugging an ethernet cord into the router, copying those settings, manually entering them into the network preferences, and then renewing the dhcp lease. No luck.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
id ring up your ISP, and make sure there isnt a problem behind the scenes.

OP
H
Reaction score
It is pretty much a new 15 " macbook pro- the 2.66 ghz version. I bought it in December. It has os x 10.6.3 on it. How would I diagnose the battery?
Thank you,
Holly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it would not be the battery being that new. Update to OS X.6.7 using the combo updater and see if that improves things Holly.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361

Also trust it is not a Netgear modem/router as had similar problems with one. Replaced with a Linskys and all well.

Reaction score
Try removing firewall

Try removing your firewall's preferences by going to the /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder and removing the file called "com.apple.alf.plist." After this, restart your Mac and then try configuring the network connection again. You will likely see a number of "accept incoming connections" messages after doing this, so for now accept them all and then manage them in the Security system preferences at a later point.

See if this helps.

Reaction score
Hi!

I had the same problem for the past three weeks!

I bought a my first Apple product, a MacBookPro, 13', i7 seven weeks ago. I was able to connect to my WiFi fine up until three weeks ago when all of a sudden it would give itself a self-assigned IP address. I was quite disturbed because I had high expectations from Apple. Regardless, I still love my MBP and set out to fix it!

I tried disconnecting/re-connecting wires, fiddling with network preferences, disabling firewalls, etc etc. Nothing worked. So I called up my internet service provider. That agent was unable to fix my problem because even with an ethernet cable stuck in my laptop, my router wouldn't assign my MBP a IP address. Sadly, that agent decided to upgrade my internet package without my consent and made my life quite miserable for the following ten days...that's a whole other story.

The point is that once I set up my new router I was hoping it would solve my self-assigned IP address issue if it was in fact a router problem. That was not the case. Fortunately though I was able to connect by ethernet. After a few days I thought to myself, let's try take a look at my security preferences. I noticed that I had my MAC filtering enabled....no wonder I wasn't on the allow list...so I disabled it then WHAM I HAD WIRELESS INTERNET!!!!!!! This explained why my MBP wouldn't even accept my network password, but it didn't explain why I was still getting a self-assigned IP address even with my neighbour's open network :S

An interesting observation I made was that the IP address that my MBP is using is the one that it was using via ethernet. I'm not well versed in these technical details, but I think the router may generally assign a particular IP address to each device, so whether that device connects via ethernet, or wireless, it'll give it that unique IP address. If this is supposed to be common knowledge then my apologies. What I would then suggest is trying to manually assign that very IP address to see it the device picks up the wireless internet.

I hope this will help guide some people in their quest to resolve this self-assigned IP address problem. I spent weeks trying different remedies. I didn't come across this one, so I thought I would share it.

Reaction score
the solution for me

after reading every post available on the internet and trying every possible solution, nothing worked and my frustration became extreme. getting tossed back and forth between apple and my internet provider (i'm in spain, i have a clearwire daughter company called instanet) I called apple again and explained everything I had already done with no results. rather than brushing me aside, they finally put me through to a senior representative who offered a few options. after he couldn't help me fix it he told me to try the following:

1. insert the max osx install cd
2. restart computer
3. at startup screen, hold c key to bring you to osx install and configuration screen
4. choose your language
5. on next screen, click on airport and connect to your modem/router
6. click on network utility (top left of screen) and go to en1 airport (at this point you should be able to see your ip address)
7. if your ip address reads anything but 169.xxx.x.xxx, you're probably in business and don't have to do anything. if it does read 169..... I'm afraid your probably still out of luck
8. don't install the software, return to the english screen and restart the computer in normal mode
9. once restarted, turn airport back on and log in with password, magically it should work again

i can't believe how incredibly easy this was. i hope this works for you. like i said, i literally tried everything and read every single forum and bit of advice to no avail. now i have wifi back and i feel like it was right in front of me the whole time, no idea why it turned out to be such a simple fix. good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.