• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD Gaming Capture for 27” iMac

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I’d like to start by apologizing if this has been asked already. I did a quick search and many related discussions were over a year old so I wanted to get some updated advice. I own a 27” iMac and I’m looking for a way to record my video game footage from my TV onto the iMac for editing and uploading to sites like YouTube.

It needs to capture in high definition as I have previously owned a Dazzle device and found the software and video quality terrible. I did a couple of Google searches and people are often suggesting the Hauppauge HD PVR, which is the device I was set on purchasing, but I’m also seeing people suggest something called the EyeTV, and would like some information on this from those of you who have any experience with it.

I’m working with a web design company to get a gaming blog online and gameplay recordings alongside live streams are a big part of this project, however I did not expect to run into trouble when selecting video capture equipment (should have picked up the Mac Pro when I had the chance).

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Please note you need the EyeTV Hybrid as this can stream both Digital and analogue unlike the EyeTV DTT which only streams digital.

- Simon

OP
Nemphtis
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply, Buzz. I’m just flicking through the video in your link now and it seems he is explaining how to play an Xbox 360 using your iMac as the screen. I already own a 32” HDTV and would like to play on that, I simply need the iMac to capture the video/sound so I can edit and then upload it to YouTube. I assume you already understood this, but I wanted to clarify it just in case as I don’t want to end up buying the wrong product.

The author of the video also states that the EyeTV Hybrid does not do HD, is this what you were talking about with the two difference versions in your second post? Judging by the Google chatter, I was under the assumption that I needed an EyeTV HD - am I mistaken?

OP
Nemphtis
Reaction score
Can I trouble you guys for a little more advise on this topic before I commit myself to a purchase? I'm a little confused about which EyeTV product I need as I assumed the EyeTV HD was the one but Buzz has mentioned the EyeTV Hybrid. I think I'm a little more confused than when I started out! :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... I already own a 32” HDTV and would like to play on that, I simply need the iMac to capture the video/sound so I can edit and then upload it to YouTube. ...

??? How are you expecting to capture the video on your Mac without the video going to your Mac?

I would suggest you head for the El Gato forums. They have doubtless had the question asked many times and should be able to direct you to the most appropriate piece of hardware.

OP
Nemphtis
Reaction score
??? How are you expecting to capture the video on your Mac without the video going to your Mac?

I would suggest you head for the El Gato forums. They have doubtless had the question asked many times and should be able to direct you to the most appropriate piece of hardware.

Thanks for the tip Bob, will make a topic in there and see what's up. I think I'm mixing things up, I understand I need to have the video get over to the Mac but I've managed to confuse myself, the EyeTV Hybrid puts the video onto my Mac if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not entirely sure how to record that video. Do I use screen capture software like ScreenFlow, or something else?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I believe all of their hardware is packaged with their EyeTV software which would be used for the recording. You need to browse their site and read about their different products so that you can make an educated decision and not one based solely off what someone else says.

OP
Nemphtis
Reaction score
I believe all of their hardware is packaged with their EyeTV software which would be used for the recording. You need to browse their site and read about their different products so that you can make an educated decision and not one based solely off what someone else says.

It looks like the EyeTV HD is what I need, since that is the only product I can see which captures in HD using component. It does indeed seem like the software for recording is included, and from what I've read online, the software isn't as bad as most that come with this kind of hardware. I've made a topic on their forum, so assuming they confirm what I think then it's probably a safe bet to place my order.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.