Ugly graphics in Windows 7 in bootcamp

Reaction score
My macbook pro 17 inch laptop, which I bought in 2010 and windows 7 home edition (32 bits) both worked well until I recently erased everything and reinstalled everything. The mac part works fine with no problems, but the all the images on the bootcamp side are blown up, blurry and ugly. I did not have this problem in my first installation. Also, the games that come with windows say that the graphic and video cards are incompatible or not enabled. The reason why I want to use the windows side is because I use Xara graphic design, so I want my images to look nice. I use the mac side for just about everything else.
I also tried the different sizes in windows screen resolution and none of the sizes match my 17 inch macbook pro screen. How do I stop seeing these inflated images and see real sizes like I did before? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to ask... why did you erase everything and reinstall? Very seldom does one have to reinstall OS X, that should be the very last resort to solve a problem.

It appears your Windows 7 is not using the proper display resolution. Did you install all the Windows 7 drivers? (Insert your Snow Leopard DVD while Windows 7 was running.) Also, make sure you download the latest boot camp updates from Apple. 3.1 and 3.2. You do that from Windows 7.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It has to be driver issue. Try what Chscag suggested. Are you running 10.6 Snow Leopard? If so, put in the OSX 10.6 DVD while in windows and run the Bootcamp installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
I had a similar issue when I attempted to update my nVidia drivers under bootcamp (Win7 HP). I restored my Win7 install and the issue was resolved.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies

Hello chscag: I tried your suggestions and downloaded the latest boot camp updates from Apple. 3.1 and 3.2. The Apple 3.2 update was fine but the apple 3.1 update didn't work. I a pop up window it said that I had to have bootcamp 3.0 or later installed.

Hello scottmcp432: How do you restore windows 7 in bootcamp? It's probably very simple but I don't know the process.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
First off you would have needed to run Windows backup prior to any updates (e.g.- driver updates) being installed. Fortunately, I backed up my system immediately prior to attempting to update my nVidia driver. When I wound up with the same issue you have now it was a simple manner of going into my control panel and restoring my MBP's Win 7 user files. The experience definitely taught me the importance of backing up. I don't know what I would have been able to do had I neglected to do this. My problem may have been caused by not removing the old gpu drivers during the update, who knows? I did not have this problem when updating my Asus G53JW gpu drivers in the same manner.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks so much scottmcp432. The answer was in the control panel. I found the drivers I needed to update there. I also updated my nVidia driver. Now evrything looks great and works great.
Also, my bootcamp doesn't heat up as much as before. I don't know if that has anything to do with updating drivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.