Power consumption iMac 21.5

Reaction score
Hello,

In a few months I am planning to switch back to MAC (just waiting for the new models).
But, I really need to know something from you!

Will an iMac takes less watt than my actual PC (Dell XPS420)
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/corporate/environ/comply/xpsdt_420.pdf

The XPS 8300 I was planning have this
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/corporate/environ/comply/xpsdt_8300.pdf

I saw that the 21.5 consume less than a PC with monitor off in idle (the half of it)
http://images.apple.com/environment...Mac_Product_Environmental_Report_20100727.pdf

Actual monitor is a Samsung 2032mw (45w max)

But the actual question is:

For a simple use who is using LR3+PSE8+Office+Internet do I have everything to win and nothing to loose as it comes to power consumption?

Here in Belgium electricity is (really) expensive!

Anyway thx in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you're worrying about being able to pay for electricity, why are you even considering a new computer?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
O
Reaction score
If you're worrying about being able to pay for electricity, why are you even considering a new computer?

Who was talking about worrying about being able to pay the bill ?
No one!

I thought this forum was made for helping people.

For the record my PC will be out of warranty in January 2012.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who was talking about worrying about being able to pay the bill ?
No one!

Then why do you care how much electricity it uses? It really isn't going to be a huge difference either way.

OP
O
Reaction score
Then why do you care how much electricity it uses? It really isn't going to be a huge difference either way.

Apparently you really don't know how it's work here in Belgium about paying bills of electricity.

Too bad I wasn't helped here the way I would like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently you really don't know how it's work here in Belgium about paying bills of electricity.

Yes, you really don't pay much more than we pay here in the US, so I pretty much get how an electricity bill works. A computer, regardless of type is going to be a minor part of any electric bill unless you're running a server farm in your home.

So again, I'm not really sure why you're so worried about it unless you're struggling already with paying your bill in which case, I still maintain you probably shouldn't be worried about a new computer and just pay your bill. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
My wife and I had this conversation a few months back and I determinded that I'd love to have a bicycle-petal driven generator under my desk that powers my computer!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear OlivierC

Whatever the price of electricity, country-v-country, the percentage spent on any make of computer, whether run 24 hours a day or just on standby, is negligible in relation to your overall cost of living.

Get the computer that best serves your needs. Obviously, I'd say a Mac; but whichever you choose, the power bill is the least of your concerns.

Good hunting.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.