2010 13" MBP HDD Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 13" <3
Hi,

I've got a 2010 13" MBP and I'm having some issues with the stock HDD and my OSX installation, looking for someone with a bit of knowledge to give me a hand.

I have both Win7 Ultimate and OSX installed, but mainly use the Win7 partition due to software compatability that I require maximum performance for.

My issue is that the OSX partition no longer functions properly, the system wont boot into OSX, even after resetting PRAM and attempting to boot safe mode. I've booted up using the OSX install disc and can get into the Disk Utility where the partition is visible, and I am able to verify it but not repair it. I also attempted an archive reinstall but during the installation process it will only allow me to install OSX on the bootcamp drive. I've attempted to run chkdsk on the OSX partition from Windows and that doesnt work either.

I dont really want to format it because I have lots of software on there, and to be honest if I formatted it I dont think I'd even bother reinstalling OSX and just use Win7 - not sure if I actually have any other options?

Is it possible to recover my mac software by just copying it directly onto the bootcamp drive via Win7 as there is no registry in OSX?

Any help would be appreciated,

cheers,
Matt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like your hard drive has problems. It's not unusual for the OS X side of things to go bad and Windows still works OK.

Your first priority is to make a backup of your OS X installation in order to preserve any data you wish to keep. Backing up to the Windows partition is not a good idea because that will be wiped out when changing hard drives and reinstalling.

If you can access the OS X partition from Windows, attach an external hard drive, and copy what you need to the external from Windows but do not save it on your Windows partition. Also backup your Windows 7 installation to an external hard drive. Use the built in Windows 7 backup software.

Next, make an appointment with your local Apple store and take the machine on in. They'll probably change the hard drive for you under the warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.