• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

help with burning dvd for showing at event

Reaction score
I made a sweet montage in iMovie for an upcoming family event. It's about 11.5 minutes long and includes photos and video footage. I need to know the best way to save this as a movie since it will be shown on a big screen in a banquet hall (through a projector connected to a mac laptop). Can someone advise me on the best way to save this and burn it as a dvd? Should I just click iDVD and let it do it automatically or should i click export movie and then burn it to a dvd? Any suggestions and details on how to save it (widescreen vs regular) are greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Widescreen or standard should be decided based on what the video was recorded in. If it was recorded in standard it would look stretched if you tried to make it widescreen.

Is the laptop the same as the one you used to make it with? Why not make it a video file and just play it with quicktime or whatever. Are you trying to keep it playing over and over like a slideshow or just play it once for an introduction?

OP
P
Reaction score
thank you for getting back with me. I would think the video, since it is old footage, is not widescreen. I am noticing that one bit of footage, though I can see my son's head in the original, is cut off in the clip I have in my montage. I wonder if the reason has something to do with a setting?? Any ideas?

This is a play once 11 minutes montage that will be played on a mac laptop. I am producing it on an iMac.

Reaction score
If the ratio was different and you converted it to widescreen or panoramic that could happen. I am not really to familiar with the operation of Imovie yet as I am a recent switcher. I can not really give you program advice on where to look for these settings in that application. The differences are pretty universal though ( Program to Program )as far as aspect ratio is concerned.

The problem is you most likely have videos and pictures with different ratios. Does Imovie give you the option to play a title onto a background? Say a family photo that can play as the border to keep the ratio the same? Does it allow for an auto-fit where it will scale the video to keep the same ratio like watching a 4:3 HD show on your widescreen TV?

The way I have done it in the past to preserve the ratio as original is to make several clips and just play them separately in succession. This works unless you want to mix the photos and the videos together and add a soundtrack. I wish I had my mac here. It hasn't arrived yet or I could probably figure it out for you fairly quickly. It is probably just one setting causing the cropping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
This is a play once 11 minutes montage that will be played on a mac laptop.
In that case, Share it to Quicktime using the largest format that it offers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.